iPod WiFi is slow

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crazlunatic, Mar 24, 2008.

1. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

Hi. I surf the web a lot and I have an 8MBPS down connection. Generally via WiFi, the speed lost is not that great.

However on my iPod, it is clear that the speed is probably only 1/3 of my full speed on it. How do I speed it up or why is this? I've tried surfing on a non-jailbreaked ipot with my connection and its the same.
  2. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

3. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

I got 172.8kbps and I'm on an 8mbps connection...
  4. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Touchspeedtest.com gave me 167.1kbs and I am supposed to be on a 2mbps connection, try the second link http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html which seems to give a more real result - especially as my laptop test using an entirely different program (which won't work on the touch) showed just a little difference in speed.
  5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

Alright so I tried that thing on my computer and I got 8155kbps (selected high-speed)
    Then I tried it on my ipoT (selected mobile) and I got 3200kbps. So I am nearly only getting 1/3. Why is this?
  6. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

To be honest, no idea, as my results were pretty similar but my broadband is much smaller then yours I can only guess that the tiny WiFi chip they shoehorned into the touch has a maximum download speed which your are way above. So while your computer can use your full 8mbps the touch can only handle upto 3mbps?

On the bright side at least we have a scientific method of working out the WiFi speed of touch compared to computer, all we need is more people to confirm their own comparitive speeds.
  7. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I think its the processor in the iPod..

It cant go all the way to 8KB because the processor in the iPod cant handle all the imformation it getting, as fast as the Wi-Fi sends it.

I dont know, but i still think the iPod has an awesome wireless speed...
  8. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

Awesome? Lol. Too slow for me =(
  9. mrmac

mrmac Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For the last time.... IT HAS AN 802.11b/g ANTENNA!! It can NOT support speeds as fast as a 802.11 N antenna.....

good lord, how many times will someone ask these questions.....
  10. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Ah that is what I would have said had I any idea what I was on about! On a side note I know loads of people in the UK who have paid for broadband of 4mb or 8mb but never actually get over 2mb when they check the connection. For the UK the issue is down to the rubbish copper phone lines we all run off, while you can pay extra for upto 8mb speed broadband, the majority of people get 2mb at best - something hidden in the small print of the providers. The moral is start your package at the lowest speed and check you are getting it, then as you increase it check again to see if it has increased or if you are stuck at the point you were at before - tell the provider and get the price dropped to your original price.