iPod Wi-fi question?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kassiebby1124, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kassiebby1124

kassiebby1124 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So if I were to use my iPod Touch at school (when I get one), would the wi-fi have the same blockades as on the computer? It doesn't require a "password" persay, you just log in with your first/last name on the school computer. The school blocks things like YouTube and forums and stuff like that, so would the IPT3 do that too? Like if I clicked the YouTube app, would is say "block students" like it does on the school computers?

Thanks,
    Kassie <3
  2. Retro349

Retro349 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No. Most school networks filter requests on the server side, not at the client side. Each network will have it's own characteristics and they will not carry from one to another at all. That includes all generations of the iPhone and iPod touch, and every single other electronic device out there.
  3. sonoma

sonoma New Member

I think Retro349 misunderstood your question. The answer is YES. If you are using your school's Wi-Fi network and they block certain sites, it doesn't matter what device you use (laptop, iPod Touch, whatever) because your school's server will still block your attempts to access those sites.
  4. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Proxy's ftw! Just set up a proxy in the wifi settings of your iPod Touch. (if you do not know what I am talking about, you need to pay attention in school and not be on your iPod)
    that is really all I have to add.

If your school is using a whitelist and not a blacklist tho.. your screwed.
  5. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    whitelist would be incredibly strict imo. But it does happen.

Usually schools use black lists and filter keywords and "popular" searches.

All requests go from your ipod touch through to the proxy server then out to the internet, anything traffic will be sent through the server which means they can see what you've access etc. But you can always setup a proxy server (as LXZ mentioned).

It's a shame these days, most high schoolers end up just going on myspace or facebook during class time. Quite sad IMO.

If you clicked the youtube app, it would not load I believe. It would just time out or give you a 404 error.