ipod went through the wash. wondering if I cant fix it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Germs, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Germs

Germs New Member

hi. quite a while ago my sister left her ipod touch in some clothes and they got washed. at first it wasnt turning on... so that was that. eventually it did turn on but had a white screen.

she eventually just got a new ipod touch and said I could try to fix it if I wanted. so... the details...

the ipod touch is a 2nd gen 8 gig (dont think that matters)... when I plug it into my computer itunes pops up and it makes the sound its supposed to when plugged in. like normal and it says it still has all the songs videos etc... I can play the songs and video off my computer. I can still turn it off and on but have not been able to listen to music since I cant see what Im doing.

so Im wondering if I just replaced the lcd screen would that do the trick? and also would I also need to order a new digitizer... what are the odds that that wont be working?
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

The thing she shouldn't have done is try to turn it on. Because it was wet, when she tried to turn it on, electricity flowed through the iPod and possibly fried the inside components. What she should've done was put it in a bowl/bag of rice and let it sit there for several days, absorbing as much as water as possible. So in case it happens again, do that

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyways, I'm not sure if replacing the LCD/digitizer will fix the problem. If you have the money, I guess it's worth a try.
  3. Germs

Germs New Member

thats the problem... I have the money... but not enough to waist it in the case that it doesnt work. but I mean... it seems like the problem is in the screen considering everything else is working.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I guess you can try to fix it then. But just remember that if you do it yourself, you run the risk of breaking it even more.
  5. Germs

Germs New Member

well what do you think the odds it will fix it are?
  6. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you are comfortable working with tiny and delicate parts, then it's worth a shot, but nobody knows if that will fix the iPod. The water could have done a number of things to it.

Be aware though, it's very easy to break the LCD, Digitizer, Wifi, Home Button, Casing, and internal components

Please Register or Log in to view images

so, basically everything.
  7. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I wouldn't risk it. I'd just start using that as a decoy iPod.
  8. kevind123

kevind123 Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I fixed it the iPod I got for free, hehehe. My friend cracked his screen so I took it and replaced the screen for $20, now the screen has gone white and nothing is working to fix it, But anyways, if you look up a guide on how to replace the LCD it shouldn't be too hard, and worth the try. I'll provide a link for a $18 dollar LCD on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
  9. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The digitizer will probably be ok. Even though you can't see what you are doing, you should be able to swipe the touchscreen to unlock the iPod and head a 'click'. If you do, then chances are the digitizer is ok. patpond is right; there are many things to break, and I have broken my share. Just last week, I tore a digitizer cable! Changing the display isn't too difficult - it comes with an attached cable and you just pop in the connector. Opening up the unit for the first time without breaking anything else is the tricky part!