iPod was rained on, and no longer works... But wait!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FallingBalloon, Jul 16, 2008.

1. FallingBalloon

FallingBalloon New Member

Hey guys, due to a tragedy, my iPod no longer works. I was swimming with friends, and it suddenly started to rain, hard. My iPod, phone and wallet were in my backpack, and were all soaked. By the time I got to a dry place (or rather, got a beach umbrella open) and opened my bag to check, by iPod was sitting in a pool of water in my pack. I was sure the dock didn't get any water in it, but just to be sure, I tapped the sleep button and saw it was alive, and quickly turned it off. I put it WAAAAAAAAY deeper in my backpack, in a pocket that absolutely could NOT get wet, and went back to swimming.

When I checked again in bout half an hour, I immediately noticed my backpack was HOT. I whipped out the iPod, and, sure enough, it was scalding hot. I tapped the sleep button, and nothing. I freaked out, and put my iPod away again, and went inside. I dried it out with a blow drier, but was sure it was already too late. After that, I put it in Silica pellets overnight, and then waited until the next night to try plugging it in to get some power to it, just to see if it was still functioning at all. Since it was jailbroken, I couldn't risk them hooking it up and seeing that. iTunes didn't detect it, and I knew that Freddy was dead...

All the condensation is gone, thanks to the silica pellets, and the headphone jack never got wet. If it did, the litmus paper never turned purple. Maybe because it was rain, and possibly pH neutral? I doubt it, but it's possible.

Aaaaaaaanyway, I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow, and going to tell them this: (and have my Mom back me up, she doesn't want to have to spend any more money on electronics...)

"Well, my iPod is completely dead. I had it plugged into the computer, because I was letting it sync, charge, the whole deal. I had just added a ton of music to my library, so I knew it'd take forever for it to sync. So, a couple hours later, I came back, and my iPod was done syncing. I started to listen to some music and mess around with pictures and stuff (it was still plugged in, I didn't want to waste my battery) and the screen started to flicker, and it started getting hot. It started flashing and my music got all fuzzy, and then cut off. The iPod got really hot, and so I unplugged it, and let it sit by itself for a little bit. I hit the sleep button to try to get it to chill out, but when I tried to turn it back on this morning, it wouldn't turn on."

What do you think my chances of success are?
  2. chadi

chadi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I think it would work. Sounds like a good idea.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Kevdanclay

Kevdanclay Banned

im sorry, i would read this but its too long lol
  4. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It has a water sensor, so they can tell if you got it wet.
  5. Thricemin

Thricemin New Member

Man thats a tragedy but did you let it dry for a long duration?My brothers psp was rained on so i told him to let it dry completely with there no chance of being moisture in it and it functions just fine.
  6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Then why post?

Anyway, while I don't condone consumer fraud, I believe you have a good chance of getting it replaced.
  7. jgl1115

jgl1115 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    damn that sucks...

and that is a good idea, it'll probably work. haha, some people at apple are really stupid.
  8. FallingBalloon

FallingBalloon New Member

I am aware of that. The "sensor" is a piece of litmus paper in the headphone jack. The headphone jack didn't get wet, I checked myself. You can just look into it and see the paper, it's still shiny and white.
  9. MeleeMan101

MeleeMan101 Banned

I tried to do that with my friend's iPhone. They said that rain doesn't have warrenty, and some crap about me not being careless. The chances for getting a refund or somthing is small.
  10. chadi

chadi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Correct. Plus, even if it did get wet, iirc you can use alcohol on a cotton swab to reset it.