iPod & Virus....

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Screamworks, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Screamworks

Screamworks Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi guys...Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Ohk, heres how it goes..
    I got my iPod Touch 2nd Generation 32GB today...I havent opened it yet. Now there are two computers in my house. My one, which is a slow (300mb RAM) old computer that isnt connected to the internet....And my father's decently fast, connected computer. Now my dad's computer, and I know this for a fact, has about 2 or 3 viruses on it...My one, does not. Now my question is...

Would it be safe to insert my iPod into my father's (virus) computer...
    (Cause im worried when I SSH, it could secretly copy onto my iPod)
    Im not afraid that my iPod will get a virus and crash or anything...But I dont like the idea of having a virus on my iPod's file system, or having corrupted media on there, etc.
    Would I be better off using my old computer (No Internet, No Virus) to plug in my iPod, use iTunes, Jailbreak, etc?
    Also, when you first connect an iPod, doesnt it need to connect to the internet or something, to register?

What should I do?

Thank you so much in advance guys.

Limbo11
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You don't have to register.
    Also, the virus cannot run on the iPod touch, and most likely, cannot even be transferred onto it.
  3. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    That statement is not true. A virus COULD be run on the iPod Touch or iPhone, but there is only one known in existance which was back on 1.1.4 and was quickly taken down. It could be transferred on it without you even noticing, since Cydia is a 3rd party application installer, and you never know what's bundled into those little apps.

If you mean a PC virus, no.

Please Register or Log in to view images

That can't happen unless the virus is specifically aimed at the iPod Touch or iPhone OS. Plus the coder of the virus would have to either find a new exploit, or know the device is jailbroken and inject it in through iTunes

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That wasn't actually a virus. Viruses replicate themselves, whereas that malware "merely" deleted files.
  5. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why don't you just run an anti-virus like AVG Free on your father's computer and remove the viruses?

Wouldn't that make more sense?
  6. Screamworks

Screamworks Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    We have AVG Free. Its sh*t. I only no of these viruses thanx to Kaspersky online scanner. But AVG isnt detecting anything. And my dad wont let me install a different anti-virus
  7. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No online scanner can tell you if you have viruses. If something online only (meaning you downloaded nothing) is telling you that you have a virus, than it is a scam.

AVG Free is one of the best free anti-viruses out there, and if it isn't detecting anything, than I would place my bets on you don't actually have any viruses.
  8. Screamworks

Screamworks Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For one, thats not true. It downloads a 64mb temp file that scans your entire computer, and then reports back.
    Essentially it downloads the latest Kaspersky version, scans, and tells you the results.
    Kaspersky, Trend Micro, and Panda Security all detected the same three files as viruses, and ive seen there registry entries too. I have them. The problem is loosing them.
  9. pinnaps2

pinnaps2 Banned

Limbo 11 is right

if it is kaspersky official page then its legit
    no doubt about that
  10. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    All the software you listed also requires that you purchase them in order to get rid of the viruses.

Many companies will return fake reports in order to get users to purchase them.

And as for what I said not being true, it is entirely true. You said it was online, not that you downloaded a temp file. If you actually downloaded something, then I suppose it could be true, but no website can scan your computer online without downloading anything.