iPod Touch won't sync (not a normal problem)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mecon, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mecon

Mecon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OK, Hi, I'm new here, but I haven't seen this particular problem discussed.

This all started when I downloaded the latest version of iTunes (9.0.2.25) onto my Windows XP system a few days ago. Everything worked fine before this.

Now whenever I connect my iPod, iTunes freezes up until I disconnect it. If I close iTunes and reopen it, the first time I try to sync it will start to work, but then a window pops up that says,

"iPod cannot be synced to iTunes; the device timed out."

Also, before this prompt pops up, iTunes will begin to sync one new song (I have more songs on my iPod than on my iTunes, I want to update iTunes) and once it can no longer sync, the one song is removed from my ipod and is in my itunes library only. This is pissing me off. Every attempt I make to sync causes me to lose one song from my iPod.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to remove and reinstall iTunes because I will lose the songs that iTunes stole from my iPod. Also I don't want to reset my iPod because I will lose the songs that haven't been transfered yet (about two albums worth).

I've spent way too much time making designs with all the frozen Task Manager windows, and I've had it!

PS: I also have an update for the iPod Touch pending (firmware 3.1; I bought it already, but it wont download obviously.)
  2. hayntaptap

hayntaptap New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've Never Heard Of This Problem Before. But, I Suggest Try Reinstalling iTunes or Maybe Restoring Your Device if you haven't already. I'm Not Sure if that'll work because I've never had this problem but, I know that Restoring a Broken iPod & REinstalling iTunes are always the 1st steps in Trying to Fix an iPod

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, & Try the "Restoring your iPod" Idea 1st, & if that doesn't work THEN reinstall iTunes, 'cause reinstalling iTunes takes way longer than restoring an iPod

3. Mecon

Mecon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does restoring the iPod clear the music files? If so, I don't want to do that because I will lose two albums worth of music that I bought directly on the iPod thru iTunes.

I guess my best chance is to reinstall iTunes on my PC, I will only lose three songs. I really think the problem is with iTunes and not my iPod.

Oh, and one more thing, will I lose the firmware update I bought if I reinstall iTunes? That would suck since I haven't been able to install it yet

4. ZeroMercy

ZeroMercy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  5. Mecon

Mecon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks. So, I've gathered that restoring an iPod will clear all media files, correct?

6. Mecon

Mecon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Uninstalled/Reinstalled iTunes this morning. Made no change. It still freezes up when I try to sync the iPod.

I guess I will have to restore my iPod and lose the two albums worth of music that are on it that aren't yet on iTunes. And all the apps I've bought recently.

EDIT; Ok, at the moment it actually seems to be working. It is currently copying my apps but it's working VERY slowly. I'm just going to sit and wait, since this is the most progress I've seen it make.

EDIT; Ok, I guess I just jinxed myself because as soon as I posted the above edit, I got an error message that says
    "The iPod "Mike's iPod" cannot be synced. The disk could not be read from or written to."
  7. sbdxaric

sbdxaric Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Why dont u just downgrade ur itunes?
  8. Mecon

Mecon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does senuti work to copy apps too? If it does then I could use it to save all my apps and songs and then I could restore my iPod.