iPod Touch won't restore...stuck in recovery mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4pawsforever, Nov 23, 2010.

1. 4pawsforever

4pawsforever Guest

This is the email I sent to Apple on Sunday night, they wrote back long enough to say it was being forwarded to the tech department, and I haven't heard anything since:

Hello,
    I'm writing about a problem with my sister's iPod.
    She was on her iPod touch *8GB* tonight, and her iPod suddenly brought up this alarming screen. Attached is a picture of what that screen image looked like. It will not let her do anything whatsoever on her iPod. It appeared it needed and was asking to be plugged into the computer by the image it showed.
    We plugged it into the computer and as soon as iTunes pulled up on the computer it gave a message reading:

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

We tried to restore it, and it would not let us restore it. Everytime we tell it to restore, it goes through the motions as if it is going to try to restore, then blinks a white screen that goes back to black with the Apple logo on the iPod, while at the same time the computer iTunes displays this messsage:

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error has occured (1611)."

It gave me the option of clicking Ok or More Information. I clicked more information which lead me to this page on your website: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

It also gave me an "unknown error (9)" when I tried to plug it back in and restore it after restarting the computer.

I have done all I know to do to try to fix this issue. It is 1 am, and I've been trying to fix this problem for over 2 hrs. It doesn't seem fixable from everything I've done.

The computer has been restarted, the iTunes is the most recent version out (matter of fact I downloaded it while trying to figure the problem out, I think it's the 10.1 version), and the software on the iPod is current and up to date. I have tried it on a different computer and it says the same thing. I have tried my best to get it worked out, and I don't konw what else to do.

I'm writing to ask some questions and get some help. First off why did the iPod suddenly do this? Are there any precautions to take to prevent if from happening again? And finally and most importantly right now, how can I restore and fix it? My sister is lost without her iPod!

Thanks so much for any help you can give me on this matter!
    Have a great day!
    Sharon

Does anyone know what to do???
  2. tw23

tw23 Community Development Staff Member

first put in DFU, then restore
  3. tw23

if u do not know how to, either google or follow my instructions:
    1. Hold power button till it turns off all the way, with nothing on the screen (you may have to hold power and home button)
    2. Hold power for 3 sec (till u see the apple logo)
    3. keep on holding power but with the home now for another 5 sec
    4. let go off power but keep on holding the home for 15 - 30 sec (or until u hear the sound in ur computer)

*remember have ur iPod touch plugged into the computer while doing this

if u want a super easy way to do this without having to restore... download tinyumbrella (search in google)
    plug in ur iPod touch
    open tinyumbrella
    click "kick out of recovery mode"
  4. mrtntv2

mrtntv2 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ahhhhh happened to me. excatly the same acctually! what i did change the usb port that it is plugged into. also change the cable.
  5. comet

comet Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    If none of the other options above worked, use iRecovery or iH8snow's program to kick it out.
  6. 4pawsforever

4pawsforever Guest

I downloaded the tinyumbrella, and it pulled up. The iPod is connected. The box you click on to kick it out of recovery says "exit recovery", but the box is not clickable.

I've tried to dfu way and it won't work, so I was hoping the tinyumbrella would work. But....
  7. tw23

dfu always works...
  8. 4pawsforever

4pawsforever Guest

Okay I tried to do the dfu, everything still looks the same, and is still not working.
    It acts like I don't even have the iPod plugged into the computer. I have to manually pull up iTunes and then it keeps given me the same message:
    "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

When I tell it to restore, it keeps on going through the motions like I will restore, then gives me the error and now it's giving me a 9.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I am reading and rereading the instructions trying to do it all perfect, and I can't get it to work.
  9. tw23

when u say u do "DFU" does it show the "connect to itunes" screen?
  10. 4pawsforever

4pawsforever Guest