iPod touch wont fully restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lrg32shots, Sep 29, 2010.

1. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Okay so im having an issue restoring my ipod touch 3g 64gb. When I try to restore it on my iMac, it gets to about 95% then freezes. Ive tried it several times, on different usb ports, and using different usb cables.

But when I try to do it on my room mates mac mini, it restores just fine.

So what gives? My iMac is less than a year old and i've never had issues restoring other ipods on it before. Do you guys think I might have an issue with my computer or is this just a special case?

Edit: Thinking back I have had one other incident with an iphone 3gs 32gb that had a similar issue. But besides these two, i've restored/jailbroke dozens of other ipod touch's and iphones without an issue.
  2. austinmartin

austinmartin New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    do you have wifi sync on your ipod?
  3. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You've messed with the hosts file haven't you. I edited mine and now I can't restore any iOS device on my computer.
  4. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nope my ipod doesnt have wifi sync, but i do have that on my computer cause I use it on my ipad, is that somehow related to the problem?

Also I dont think i've messed with the host files, but im not really sure what that is to be honest....
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay did a bit of research and sure enough wi-fi sync was the problem. I uninstalled it, rebooted my computer, restored the ipod again, and it worked no problems this time.

Thanks for the help guys.........
  5. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Huh, that's interesting. I knew WiFi sync on the iPod couldn't be the problem, but I never considered the fact that it's also installed on my computer. Well, it's really good to know that and I'll be uninstalling that now!
  6. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah if you go to wi-fi sync's website it actually states it there that having wi-fi sync installed messes up the restore.upgrade process with itunes connected via usb.

It also sucked that wi-fi sync didnt come with an uninstaller, so you would need to type in the right terminal commands to get it uninstalled properly. Luckily I was able to find a site thru some googling that a guy made an uninstaller for wi-fi sync. Pretty much just open up the program, and it put all the commands in terminal for me and all I had to do was restart my computer.

For me wi-fi sync wasnt worth it, I really just got it to try it out but after a few syncs, I was over it and ended up going back to the traditional usb sync.