ipod touch won't connect

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by inhalexhale, May 24, 2009.

1. inhalexhale

inhalexhale New Member

May 24, 2009
    hi all, my ipod touch 16GB 1st gen is acting up.

when i connect it to the USB, it is not recognized by neither my computer nor iTunes. i've tried all the obvious resolutions to the problem with no avail.

what i'm running/using:
    - iPod touch 16GB 1st gen (never jailbroken)
    - software v. 2.1.1
    - iTunes 8 (latest)
    - windows vista & windows XP (i have two computers)

what i've tried:
    - hard reset (home + power/sleep)
    - restore via home + power/sleep (can't do through iTunes, obv.)
    - resetting settings on iPod
    - reinstalling iTunes
    - trying two different computers
    - trying multiple USB cables

i've also taken it into an apple store. they somehow got it working through doing a hard reset, but it wouldn't hold a charge - it was acting as if it was recognized but the battery wouldn't budge (and my battery life is in excellent condition, so they said it wasn't a problem with the battery). after i took it home, it worked for a couple hours and then again would no longer be recognized. i have another appointment with their genius bar crew tomorrow, but i have a feeling i'm going to be running in circles with them getting it to work and then it working for a bit and rerunning the cycle.

also, through doing a restore via the home + power button, it will show the connect to itunes screen but still is not recognized. sometimes with doing this it also gets stuck on the apple screen until i hard reset it again.

i'm at a loss, any suggestions?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    another thing...just disconnected and reconnected it...vista told me it was installing driver software (while making the connect/disconnect noise about fifty times during the process) and is now telling me it is an "unidentified device."

first time this has happened. but still not being recognized.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Please Register or Log in to view images