Ipod Touch Wont Charge or Sync (1st Gen)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dukemanchris, Oct 20, 2008.

1. dukemanchris

dukemanchris New Member

Alright so here's my problem. I have a jailbroken 16gb ipod touch 1st generation on firmware 2.1. I have tried just about everything to get it to charge/sync correctly but have had no luck. I can somewhat charge/sync it if i wrap the usb cable around the ipod, or move the cable in certain directions. It used to be able to charge/sync if i just pulled one part of the cable out. I do have a walmart warranty on it that is still good, but i dont know if they will give me a 2nd generation ipod touch or a 1st generation ipod touch. I paid $399 for it.If i do plan on returning it to walmart would they give me credit or an exchange? Also if anyone knows how to fix the charge/sync problem that would be great I do think it is the ipod though because i have used the same cable on my ipod classic.
  2. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

I would suggest restoring it first and re-jailbreaking it to see if that fixes the issue. If it is a hardware issue and you want to return it, you will NOT receive a 2g in return, even if you try and cut WalMart a deal. Only way your gonna get a 2g is if you pay for it outright.
  3. thejosh88

thejosh88 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Pretty obvious question here, but have u tried a) a different cable, and/or b) a different system...or heck even c)BOTH lol....if that doesnt work then its gotta be hardware....its prolly one of the little connectors in the ipod....my old 20gb 3rd gen did that.

As for buddy above me....u cant restore if u cant connect!!!!!

Thats all i got for ya man....best of luck!
  4. dukemanchris

dukemanchris New Member

yes i have tried a different cable, what do you mean by system, if you mean a different computer then no i have not tried a different computer, but my computer is fine, i can sync and charge my ipod classic with the same cable that doesnt work on my ipod touch. yeah it might be one of the pin connectors inside the ipod, if it is though how should i got about trying to fix it.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    How do i go about restoring it so i don't lose my games and stuff from jailbreaking like my emulators and dtunes and such? Also i think the warranty said something about in store credit or something but im not for sure. If i wouldn't get a 2g then what would i get? They don't sell the 1g ipod touch any more.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1. The dock connector may not be making contact/may have come loose from the logic board inside the iPod touch. If this is the case, I would not recommend going through Wal-Mart, rather through Apple. If you're still under your 1 year warranty, I would highly recommend giving a call to 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) or visiting a local Apple Retail Store.

2. There is no way to restore without loosing your jailbreak, and all applications along with it. You can backup your media files, eg. music or videos, but you won't keep your jailbreak as you're setting all system files on your iPod touch back to factory default.

3. Wal-Mart would likely give you a store credit.
  6. dukemanchris

dukemanchris New Member

Well i guess i went to apple the other day and they gave me a brand spanking new ipod touch not the 2nd gen though

Please Register or Log in to view images

But still its a new ipod touch. also i have a warranty on my ipod touch through walmart so i can still get a new ipod touch until 2010 pretty freaking sweet if i do say so myself

But thanks a lot for all those who replied especially you Kiks52, you were a lot of help. Also i recently just purchased a iphone 3g but i dont get 3g service in my area yet i still pay for the service

Oh well i think i get it either this month or in december, but they said for sure by the end of 2008. Thanks again