ipod touch with no wifi challenge

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by klynch1969, Feb 28, 2009.

1. klynch1969

klynch1969 New Member

Here's my situation and the order of events.

1) broke wifi due to water damage
    2) Device tested and works perfect besides wifi
    3) NO WARRANTY - NO RETURNING FOR REPAIR
    4) Ipod Touch 1st gen Jailbroken 2.2.1 successful

I have used Total Commander successfully to connect via USB to the iPod Root.

My challenge is that I need to install different Cydia and Installer packages with out being able to use Cydia or Installer.

I thought about the possibility of using another Rom from another working iPod Touch with all the apps I need installed. Then somehow getting that Rom onto the broken Touch.

Or just copying all the total commander iPod directories and files to my system from a working Touch and then over to the broken one.

My questions are:
    1) Is it possible to backup the ROM (ipsw image) from a working Touch with all the apps to the non-working Touch?
    2) Is it possible to copy all the files off from a good Touch onto the bad Touch, and will the file permissions be correct?
    3) If neither of the above are possible. How can I get ssh type access to the Touch folders to change file permissions when moving apps over from Total Commander? Without using Cydia or Installer.

Thanks for any and all options.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Amazing, not a single comment.

Tonight I am going to take my two 16gb (one working and one no wifi) to work with me and see what I can do.

Any ideas to take with me would be great.
  2. Triggerr_Happy

Triggerr_Happy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you have any friends that work at the apple store you can get a new one for free probably.

4 months ago i cracked my screen for my ipod touch, and my wifi only worked half way, so i brought it in to my friend yesterday and he got me a new touch for free even though i was 2 months out of warranty
  3. klynch1969

klynch1969 New Member

I didn't get a chance to test out the transfer of files "work to busy".

But I did research .ipsw builds and I think it might be possible to create an .ipsw that has the openssh the other things I need to connect to the root via USB and change file permissions. I took a couple of minutes to look through the internet, but maybe someone already knows of one out there.

Has anyone seem an .ipsw (any version) for the 1st gen Touch that has already installed openssh?

Or does anyone know of a tutorial on how to build a custom .ipsw with the openssh included?