iPod touch WiFi Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by d3xterity, Jul 19, 2010.

1. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok so I use wifi on my 2nd gen iPod touch running on the new 4.0 firmware. It works fine at home, however when I go to my college, I cannot connect. It says that I have connected with a checkmark on the side, but the ip address is incorrect. The ip address that DHCP assigns me seems to be the same one I get at home! The ip address is 192.168.1.6. The only way I can use the wifi at the university is if I manually type in the correct ip address in the static option. IS there a way to fix this? Could there be any interferences by any cydia apps? I am running on iOS 4.0 and this is a 8GB 2nd gen ipod touch. Like I said, wifi works fine at home and when I'm at friend's house, but doesnt work when I'm at the college. The college's wifi is free to the public. It says im connected but the IP address is completely wrong and as a result, I am not connected. My friend's ipod touch works fine at the college with the correct ip address. If I enter the correct ip to static, then it would work. It doesn't work on its own. Any fix? Thanks. Help appreciated.

MORE INFO: the gateway, subnet mask, and router numbers are all correct except the IP Address. The ip address is 192.168.1.6 when its supposed to be 192.168.156.X.

AND for some reason, the ip on my ipod touch always seems to be 192.168.1.6. It never changes! Anyway to solve?
  2. Isaac

Isaac Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't know.

Restore could be one option, or you could try and modify the favs and see if that interferes.

Or reinstall cydia.
  3. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't want to restore unless its the last resort. Any other more possible fixes? Restoration cannot always be the thing to do. Its a hassle. Could OpenSSH be a problem om the 4.0 firmware? Just an FYI, my friend's ipod is on 3.1.2.
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Reset all network settings.
  5. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Tried. Same thing. I don't know, but it seems that my iPod has a resistance to free public wifi or something....??? Could there be a Cydia app causing this because my friend's iPod running on 3.1.2 could connect just fine. It has to do with my IPod. Network reset does nothing...IP address assigned is still 192.168.1.6 when its supposed to be 192.168.156.X. Any more suggestions? TY.

*Renewing the lease also does not work nor does turning off the power and on again.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'm not sure but could cookies be the reason why I can't fully connect? I mean it says I'm connected on WiFi page but there is no wifi icon and safari can't open up any pages. IP address is incorrect. And by the way, the wifi hotspot when connected requires a splash page to open up. Its kinda like a accept that you are using this Wifi page. I recently discovered I had cookies set to 'Accept from visited'. Will setting it to 'Always Accept' fix this wifi issue? Thanks. Does cookies settings interfere with your wifi connection? I mean I know its a safari setting, but is wifi connection affected by the setting. Cookies settings have 3 modes (Never Accept, Always Accept and From Visited. I currently it have on 'from visited'==
  6. Isaac

Isaac Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well restore seems the only way to do it. Just make sure you backup your shsh blobs and mod the hosts file so you can downgrade.
  7. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Gahhh... don't wanna restore. Anyone know if my cookies setting has to do with anything or possible a Cydia app? I'll just wait for the 4.1 firmware to come out. This is not worth restoring... Any other ideas? Must be a solution to this mess.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    bump bump.... still have the problem
  9. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nvrmind, problem seems to be solved. I have no idea why it just suddenly started working...