iPod touch + WiFi and GPS Nokia = ...?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alexmestral, Aug 19, 2008.

1. alexmestral

alexmestral New Member

Hi!

I own an iPod Touch and want to buy a new phone. This shall provide 3G internet access to my iPod when not connected to a WiFi, or on the go. I've seen that applications like JoikuSpot would convert many of Nokia WiFi phones in an access point (ok, unsecured and with some cons, but still...).

Next step would be to have GPS on my iPod in order to be able to use Google maps, tripadvisor and other applications on the go. I know there are a couple of things coming, like gomite or posimotion that would do the job, but I was wondering, if there was any way of using the phone's GPS locator in order to send my position to the iPod, and there using Google Maps and other applications, I would not need a WiFi GPS.

So let's imagine I buy a Nokia with all those things: WiFi, 3G and GPS. I know how to take advantage of WiFi and 3G for connecting my iPod to the internet. But is there any way of taking advantage of the GPS for my iPod? At the end of the day it is just a matter for the phone of publishing through WiFi the current location, and for iPod and running apps (Google Maps) to read that when looking for my position. Then, by using 3G from iPod back through the phone, you would not need to have maps on the iPod and could take advantage of all extra features that iPod would give over normal GPS systems (like the one in the Nokia itself, without Google maps, trip advisor, restaurant location apps and such).

An other option seems to be waiting for the gfi from posimotion, hoping that the iPod is able to manage 2 simultaneous WiFi connections: to the WiFi GPS receiver and to the phone for internet access...

Then I've seen on JoikuSpot an application called MapSpot, but it doesn't seem to do what I want. From my understanding, you need to send your location to a remote application server that would plot it on your device through a web browser. But it would not publish your location to the WiFi in order for the iPod to read it and use it. Your location would still not be available to the apps I'm interested on (again Google Maps,...)

So ideally I would like to have a 3G WiFi GPS phone connected to my iPod and allowing applications requiring to know my location on the iPod to get it from the phone, as well as 3G internet access. Am I asking too much?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Cheers

Alex
  2. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Ever heard of iPhone 3G?
  3. alexmestral

alexmestral New Member

jejeje... true, I forgot to mention that. iPhone would certainly sort the 2 things. The issues are the following:
    • I work in a place where cameras are not allowed, and it would break my heart to see how the security guy permanently f... up my iPhone camera
    • Then I use to move around a lot, and I would need to switch SIM cards everytime I get into a new country in order to avoid my boss having a heart attack when the bill comes up with all my roaming data connections (well, maybe that would not be that bad...)
    • So I need an unlocked mobile phone. It's true that living in Spain I could take advantage of a visit to Italy to get an unlocked iPhone, but I'm not sure when I'll go next
    • Call me conservative, but I would prefer avoiding hacking my iPhone
    • Finally, I still like Nokia for talking by the phone...
    So I know it's not really worth it for most of the people, but in my case I'm still keen on trying. And come on, just for the sake of being a freak, why not trying that?

Cheers

Alex
  4. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hm.. yeah, I suppose so... I'm a nokia user myself. But still, I guess living in Indonesia does have its advantage

Please Register or Log in to view images

Why do they restrict camera use there anyway, fear of industrial espionage?
  5. alexmestral

alexmestral New Member

Yes, it's because of Industrial espionage. Automotive Industry... nothing too fancy anyway.
  6. Gadgetrix

Gadgetrix New Member

So, you want to use your nokia as a router for your iPod? That's cool...
  7. alexmestral

alexmestral New Member

Well, I guess that would be the easy part of it. I've seen some posts out there where people was managing to do so, and there specific apps for that.

The one thing I'm not able to sort is the GPS: how to make my iPod know where I am when opening Google Maps and other apps that could be very useful (see my first post). Can this be done from a GPS phone? So an application installed on the phone is able to publish through the WiFi its location and the iPod is able to use it? Or do I need a separate WiFi GPS? In that case is the iPod able to maintain the WiFi connection required by the GPS at the same time as the one required for the phone with 3G?

Any idea?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'll try to summarise:

I know there are applications (like JoikuSpot) that, when installed on a phone with 3G and WiFi, can convert it in an access point accessible to external devices, say an iPod, in order to connect to the internet when no WiFi is available, or on the go.

What I am wondering is whether these same applications, when the phone they are installed on also has GPS, would be able to send the GPS location to the iPod through the WLAN.

Or maybe other additional applications installed on the phone can do just that, and using JoikuSpot they can send it through WiFi.

Or should I look for external WiFi GPS systems (like posimotion GFi), but then will the iPod be able to connect simultaneously to the GPS and to the phone through WiFi?

Any idea?
  8. Post

Post New Member

Might be working

I have been reading your question at several places when looking for this exact answer myself. No answer to be found anywhere. Last night I asked my brother to connect his ipod touch to my Nokia E66 with Joiku light installed. It took a while to get it running but eventually it worked. I started the gps but since we were not outside it took a while to get a signal. Suddenly my brother got a gps position on google maps. This was on the application and NOT Joiku landing page. I´m sorry to say that I didn't get the chance to test this more than very short so I'm not sure how well this works. It looks like the ipod touch will recieve a gps signal (or a static position) via the wifi when connectet to a phone running joiku. I can't tell you how fast it will recieve it or how exact it will be. Must try it more. The problem is that I don't want to buy an ipod before I know so I have to try whenever I'm with someone who has one.

- Alex

9. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey
    Im pretty sure you can use the 3G on an ipod touch through any device that connects to 3g and can broadcast a wi-fi signal.

But you have to remember, does the ipod touch know how to interpret a GPS signal or even on the fly coordinates over wi-fi? Yes you can locate yourself on the ipod touch over some wi-fi points, but that doesn't make a blue dot on your ipod touch's map like GPS, it makes a circle where you are most likely to be (and often its got a radius of maybe at least 200 metres or so, so its not going to work as GPS), i dont think the app is even made to constantly update its position if its over wi-fi and doesn't have GPS. Why would they make an app for the ipod touch that is a GPS app if the device itself cant receive a GPS signal?

If you want a good GPS device, buy one for a few hundred bucks, save yourself alot of hassle. Not only that, if you buy one it will be turn by turn GPS, and all the maps will be stored on the device and wont have to be downloaded every time from google maps.
  10. lukage

lukage New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    An ipod touch uses signals from wifi networks around you and tells you where you are! Why do you need GPS