Ipod touch Wi-fi Battery life...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by swatch555, Aug 1, 2008.

1. swatch555

swatch555 New Member

Okay so I got my ipod touch 2 days ago and I wanted to try out the battery life while surfing on web and using youtube. But something really weird happened to me... actually when I finished using it, it used a little less then 1/2 of the battery (it was fully charged). And after that I turned it off (not sleeping mode). But then the next day when I wanted to use my ipod touch, I noticed that there was only about 1/4 battery remaining. The brightness was adjusted to about 20% and I do not use the equalizer. I just find it weird because since I turned it off completely the wi-fi shouldn't drain my battery right? Because I read somewhere saying that I need to turn off the wi-fi before turning it off? This is already my second ipod touch since I returned the first one due to battery issues. And I also have another question: For how long do I need to charge my ipod for the first time? The first time when I bought it, the person told me 3h. Then the second time, 7h.
    That makes a big difference! For how long do you guys charge it for the FIRST time? Oh and my ipod can only last about 1h30 when I watch videos on youtube? Some people claims they can use up to 4hours though...
    Oh and is there a good portable charger that I could use during a long flight (I want one that I can use it while charging it).
    eee...long post here. I await your answers!! Thanks!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    When you turn on your iPod, it uses a lot of battery power to start up. That's why you're best off in Sleep mode, with the Wifi turned off. You do not have to turn off Wifi when you power off.

When I first got my iPod, I didn't take into consideration how long I charged it. If there's a trick to it, I don't know it.

Welcome to the Forums!
  3. swatch555

swatch555 New Member

You mean I should always put my ipod touch in sleep mode? Never turn it off completly?
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm not saying you shouldn't turn it off, but I rarely turn mine off, as there isn't much need. With wifi off, you lose very little power while in Sleep mode. It's also much faster than watching the boot screen for 20 seconds every time I want to check my email.

5. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    yeah that's what you should do

it's what I do

turn off and on ur iPod kills battery quickly
  6. plaid10

plaid10 New Member

i have this same problem.

i will have a full ipod. turn it off, then turn it on a week later and i am out of battery. something is not right with that. why is it losing its charge when it isn't even on?
  7. prasoc

prasoc New Member

yes it does lose charge when "off" (really its in standby) like everything else does: phones, laptops, etc
  8. I KILL

I KILL New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you see, all rechargeable batteries in ipods, cellphones etc. have a built in memory, this tells you when the battery is full, of if it is low. you need to let the battery run down all the way sometimes, it's good for the ipod. this will add a more accurate memory to your battery, letting you have a more accurate knowledge to how full the battery is. so you need to let the battery run down a couple times, you get what I'm saying?
  9. qblake

qblake New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    when you sleep the ipod wi-fi turns off
  10. Sopis

Sopis Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i ll tell ya...i almost nevr turn my ipod off because it is reallly unneccessary....
    only when you need to restart and dont have a proper app to do that...-manual restart..
    my ipod usually sleeps when i dont use it...and I have wifi turned of almost all the time....I turn just sometimes - since there are not so much networks in the place where I live...
    my ipod can last for like a week if i only listen music...