iPod Touch Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Galactor123, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Galactor123

Galactor123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Recently had my iPod touch in my backpack, and had a downpour hit me while walking around. Unfortunately the rain was too much for my backpack, and while it is slightly waterproofed, it is still cloth, so it seeped through and got into my touch. It was in standby mode as well, so when I when to retrieve it later in the day, it had a white screen with green thin lines. Course I turned it off immediately, and tried at first to shake out the water, but then put it in rice. Unfortunately, I think it may have shorted, either in my attempts to get it running, or just from the water and it being in standby mode, as it now won't turn on.

So my question now is: is there anyway to figure out if it has shorted, or if it's just a ruined battery? It's dried out by now, but doesn't seem to even work on external power, but I don't know if that confirms that it's bricked or just confirms a bad battery. And if it is shorted out, is it even worth it sending it off for repairs? Or should I just right it off as a loss and learn a lesson through this? :/
  2. OliPen

OliPen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    is it jailbroken? when did you buy it?
  3. Anonymoose23

Anonymoose23 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How long did you leave it in the Rice? If you didn't leave it for 2 weeks, you have most probably shorted the device.
  4. OliPen

OliPen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well apple dont cover water damage under warranty so you will have to get a new one :/ sorry
  5. Galactor123

Galactor123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I didn't buy it from Apple, it was an ebay purchase. 1st gen, not jailbroken. It has been sitting there for about 24 hours, and like I said, was in standby mode when it got wet. I think it probably just shorted out immediately, and was DOA when I got back.

So I guess my next question is... is this salvageable? Or should I put it on Ebay as 'broken ipod for parts' and leave it at that?
  6. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Look at the headphone jack with a flashlight, toward the bottom you should HOPEFULLY see something that is white (this is what Apple looks for to see if there is water damage). If you see something pink or red, it means that your iPod indeed has water damage and Apple will not take it. Because it is off warranty anyways, you can't really hope of getting a new one for free or anything. Try rice for a few more weeks.