iPod Touch VNSea to Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Cyanidepoison, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

So I run Ubuntu 7.10 and I was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step guide to setting up the VNC server software on my linux box and then connecting to it on my iPod Touch. I've done it before on one of my Windows computers, but I can't seem to get it working correctly under Ubuntu.
  2. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Should actually be straightforward on Ubuntu -

1. Go to System > Preferences > Remote Desktop
    2. Check "Allow other users to view your desktop", "Allow other users to control your computer", "Require a password" and then enter one. Do NOT check "Ask for Confirmation"

That's it - should have access from your Intranet. If you're trying to access when you're away from home, you'll need to make sure to go into your router and open up port 5900 and forward all message to 5900 to your computer.
  3. Cyanidepoison

Ok, so I ran ifconfig to find that my box is at 192.168.1.102 locally, and I set a password. I typed 192.168.1.102:5900 into the Address box on my iPod and I correctly entered my password. When I try and connect after I press save, I get an "unable to authenticate" error. Could this be with what display I'm using, or with any other settings? I thought it would be straight-forward as you said, but it doesn't seem to be as easy as it was on Windows.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You know, I thought I was the only one that had this problem - here's the fix I found on the Ubuntu boards - http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-600552.html

Worst case - turn off the password temporarily.
  5. Cyanidepoison

Thank you for that link, it works perfectly !

Please Register or Log in to view images