iPod Touch virgin! Need help starting!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CasuallyDressed, Jan 8, 2010.

1. CasuallyDressed

CasuallyDressed Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hi guys! I only got my brand spanky new 32gb 3g iPod Touch a few hours ago! Loving it so far. I just wanted to ask a few questions to get the most out of it.

1 - What is jailbreaking? What does it achieve? Am I really missing much by not doing it? If it is worth doing, what's the best guide out there to get me going?

2 - The microphone is a cool idea, but is there any way of having it on all the time? So I don't have to press the home key for 3 seconds before using it? The reason I ask is because I cycle to work and I'd want to be able to tell my ipod to skip the track without having to take it out of my pocket.

3 - Is there any hope of the Safari browser supporting flash ever?

4 - What is the best program to use to convert my videos to a format my Touch will play? I don't care about the amount of space they take, I want the best picture possible.

I think that's it! Sorry for the onslaught of questions. As this is my first iPod I will probably stick around and become quite bothersome in the future, but for now I'm gonna sound like a complete noob at everything (which will probably be more bothersome lol).

Ta in advance for any help!
  2. kingkong92

kingkong92 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)

1. Jailbreak is not bad, but it will make your ipod warrenty invalid, but yes you are missing out on the good stuff. use blackra1n to jailbreak the latest firmware which is 3.1.2

2. Either you have to do it manually or buy the headphone with a mic. you can go back and forth, and also start music with it without going through the ipod.

3. Yes there is but not at this time, because its being work on for iphone/ipod touch firmware 4.0. possible chance we might not have it. who knows!

4. The best video converter i use is the Videora iPod touch Converter.
  3. CasuallyDressed

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ahhh I didn't know you could hold the mic to start it off! That'll do me, I can take my hand off the handle for 3 seconds!

So what's this "good stuff"? I know there are rules on here so could you fling me a quick PM outlining the benefits please? Jailbreaking has been around for years and I am far too lazy to do that much research into it

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    1. jailbreak gives you lots of extra features that you can't get usually.
    2. If you hold the pause/play button down on the headphones, you can get the voice control feature. Not sure if there is a way to leave it on.
    3. Possibly in future software updates, but not at th moment.
    4. Just do a google search and see what you get. I use one by cursoft. Videroa is ok but it s full of ads and doesn't always work.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
  6. CasuallyDressed

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well it's all jailbroken, glad I did it! The mic thing is sorted. Hoping for flash support in 4.0. I've got 3 video converting programs to look at. You're a helpful bunch aren't you!

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

The chances that there will be flash support on the iPod Touch/iPhone is very slim as it will slow down web browsing. Also, I recommend Handbrake

8. reerun865

reerun865 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for all the tips. I am a Touch noob and she had asked everything i was thinking about asking.
  9. Fodd1337

Fodd1337 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Now that you are jailbroken, there is an app on Cydia called yxflash. That will allow you to watch some (most) flash and Windows Media videos.
  10. CasuallyDressed

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    lolwtf

Do I come across as a bit fem? Oops.

Thanks for the flash tip, I'll pick that up later