iPod touch users are unimportant

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by in/flux, Mar 6, 2008.

1. in/flux

in/flux New Member

I know that we don't get them any extra commission from the iPhones (from AT&T) - but seriously, what the f*** is up with the assrape for our cash after we buy $300-500 devices?

highlights below

1:40: Accelerometer appears to be huge. A photo editing App was created for the iPhone that allows you to simple shake the handset to undo changes like an "etch a sketch."

1:55: AOL: AIM coming the iPhone! Demo...

1:43: A game was written in two weeks, also using the Accelerometer for steering a fighter jet in "Touch fighter." Just tilt the handset...

2:14: iPod touch will also get the update but at a "nominal charge" due to Apple's accounting principles that differ between the Touch and iPhone.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2:30: Apple will prevent developers from distributing Apps on their own. They must pay the $99 fee, get an electronic certificate, and distribute via Apple's new iPhone App Store. SOMEONE BREAK THIS ASAP

2:47: No way to write apps for the Dock Connector outside of the "Made for iPod" program. And Schiller didn't provide a real answer to a question on how long it will take between the time developers submit their apps and when they will be made available through the App Store.
    1 person likes this.
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for the info!!
  3. notfamous

notfamous New Member

Honestly, how hard would it be to develope a way for the Jailbreak community to install applications with the dock cable? Does anyone have a copy of the SDK so we can "disect"?
  4. Flaminfire25

Flaminfire25 New Member

I kinda knew that it wouldnt be all that great atleast for now....im sticking to jailbreak baby screw apple!
  5. bobfisher74

bobfisher74 New Member

jailbreak lives on.....
  6. DarkStar211

DarkStar211 New Member

Yeh im downloading it now but im staying with installer.app and then distribushing my apps through that, Tocuh H8ers = Apple
  7. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

blah, more brainwash and propaghanda.
  8. jshuler

jshuler New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This is so much bullcrap. A simulator is NOT a device, and it will NEVER perform exactly like the real device. Think about multitouch? How the hell do you test that?
    You need to be able to test it on a real device, and it is absolute crap to COMPLETELY FORBID the execution of unsigned apps.

Wow, you would think Apple is strapped for cash or something.

You buy an overpriced POS gimmick mp3 player, and you have to void your warranty or pay $20 + $99 to make your own improvements, and even then only if Apple approves??

Hell no. That is just plain wrong. If I want to write my own personal program to run on my own overpriced mp3 player, I should be able to do it for free and without Apple's approval.

Don't drop that "it's only $90" crap, this is a matter of freedoms. Apple starts locking down the ipod touch and people are willing to pay. Next they find a way to do the same with OS X.

This is not ok.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Um... You didn't actually read about the SDK, did you? You will also be able to test apps on the iPhone or iPod, and the data will be fed back into the debugger on your computer.

You don't have to pay that initial $20.00 And about the $99.00, why would you expect ANYTHING to come for free? Nothing on this planet is ever free. Ever.

The only reason the update will be free for the iPhone (the 2.0 and new features, not SDK) is because the subscription costs coming in pay for the updates for users. If Apple did not charge, then they could literally be fined, and the iPhone/iPod production stopped, as it is flat out be illegal not to charge.

If you want to build an application, but don't want to buy the SDK, then get the current SDK, the toolchain. It is very easy to build, and offers all the same API as the Apple SDK.

If you think the iPod Touch is over priced, maybe you should have bought a shuffle.

What makes you think you should be entitled to the right to make your own software? What makes you think that it should be free. Because the fact is that it is a privilege that should cost money. Apple doesn't have to let you write apps.

Also, way to jump to conclusion, conspiracies, and crazy ideas.

Actually, it's fine. Learn how the world works before you start complaining.
  10. anubis2night

anubis2night New Member

Um Skylar I keep hearing this "The only reason the update will be free for the iPhone (the 2.0 and new features, not SDK) is because the subscription costs coming in pay for the updates for users. If Apple did not charge, then they could literally be fined, and the iPhone/iPod production stopped, as it is flat out be illegal not to charge." from all over and having looked into the laws that are being reffered to here I have yet to see any lawsuits about this in fact there's plenty of evidence that this is not the case (take a look at any gaming device/service out) but in whole I agree with you on merit of what your saying.

I also agree that this is tied to subscription rates that Apple gets from ATT, but I doubt that this is anything more than Apple trying to make sure that the cost to benefit ratio between devices is similiar to provide incentive to keep sales strong on the Iphone. That said, we don't need to make excuses for Apple. Some people will pay for this and others will wait and find a work around. Either way your going to have the features and it will cost you in either time or $

and your right Apple doesn't have to let us write apps, but in doing so they've allowed us to create a larger demand for their product and in effect opened up a larger market base for future development. If the apps are anywhere near the sales of itunes they look to increase their profit a full 1/3 in short time. This is their incentive. I don't think it's beyond our expectations for them to trade off the right to buy the apps for free, considering this...