iPod Touch - Upgrade without Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alex53, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Alex53

Alex53 New Member

I live in the wrong part of the world to use iTunes. Apple doesnt care about Gibraltar so I cant even get an iTunes account. I can just browse the store without account. So as far as they care I can be on 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade) forever.

That's ok with me in as far as buying music, because I buy elsewhere DRM free and import the MP3s. I also download a lot of free podcasts. In fact thats what I mainly listen to/watch , usually radio programmes and other podcasts from the BBC, the 'Best of Youtube', film reviews, etc.

I have chosen not to jailbreak my iPod, especially since 2.0 was coming and that was going to add some apps.

Anyway, getting to the point, since Apple won't sell me the 2.0 firmware upgrade because I live in the equivalent of the moon as far as they are concerned, I found the file elsewhere.

I know you guys wont post a link, and thats fair enough, but since I already have the file, can I have some guidance in terms of how to 'restore' to it? Also will that erase all the current content on my iPod?

Also, once I am on 2.0, how do I get to 2.0.2? Same process or can I do that through iTunes because its free?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    No one?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Im sorry, you cannot give out links to firmware on the forums.
  3. Alex53

Alex53 New Member

did you even read my post?

I said I had the firmware already, I just wanted to know how to install it and some info about what would happen when I did.

For those who might also be wondering, I eventually found some instructions that tell you to press shift at the same time as you click on restore in iTunes. This opens up a window to browse for the firmware file on your hard disk and the rest is easy enough.

The restore does empty your ipod but it does try to sync itself just after.

I followed through and upgraded from 2.0 to 2.02 from iTunes. That went well as well. My problem now is I cant connect to my home wifi even with security disabled. It gets the info through DHCP but I cant browse after that. Even specifying the same DNS as on my PC.

Does the search domain need filling in?
  4. Gadgetrix

Gadgetrix New Member

I really didn't understand a word you said in Post 1. So, what is your problem? I really, couldn't understand what you wrote...
  5. Alex53

Alex53 New Member

Firstly when I said 'did you even read my post?' I was replying to NinjaBurrito who said;

Even though in my first post I said;

What part of that says I want a link?

Anyway, sorry for not quoting him in post 3, which might have led to some confusion, but since you also have problems understanding my first post maybe I am the one not making sense here.

But despair not, if you dont understand, you need not reply!
  6. lewisb62

lewisb62 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
  7. Alex53

Alex53 New Member

blah blah blah

I mean, thanks.
  8. Idaltu

Idaltu New Member

Alex, they're all a bunch of 12 year old idiots here. You'll get little to no help at all.

I don't have 2.0.2 yet, but as for your wireless problem, I rather suspect your router. If rebooting it doesn't help, remove the power for 10 minutes to ensure that it really is resetting the memory registers and try again.

Ideally, you could nip over to a cafe and test out a public hotspot. Failing that, try reflashing the firmware again.

Have you considered a proxy to trick iTunes into thinking it's in the UK?