ipod touch upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0/4.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kamranonline, Oct 18, 2010.

1. kamranonline

kamranonline New Member

I have been searching forums, found lots of different things but noting worked for me so here I am posting my problem in detail...

I have ipod touch 2g (MB model) with 3.0 jailbroken firmware on it.

First thing i tried was upgrading to 4.0 firmware(shift + restore); it didn't work and returned an error.

Second thing I tried was to use redsnow(using 4.0 ipsw); this time got stuck at Downloading Jailbreak Data and then the connect to itunes image. so i restored back to 3.0 and jailbroke it with redsnow(using 3.0 ipsw).

Then at this thread(http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314577&page=3), i heard about saving shshs blobs using tinyumbrella or cydia.
    -My cydia doesn't seem to have "make my life easier" option.
    -Tiny umbrella give me this message "CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPad 3.2 (7B367) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE." (i don't know why it says ipad 3.2 eventhough i have ipod touch!!)

Now I am confused as to what should i do. jailbreakme.com doesn't work for me either cos they don't upgrade from 3.0.

Also if i upgrade, does that mean that i will never be able to downgrade because i won't have shshs blobs for my ipod?
  2. MFdoom

MFdoom New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Since you have an MB model, you can always jailbreak it, I don't know why you'd want to downgrade tbh. Also, no you wouldn't be able to downgrade without blobs to 4.0. What I would do is, upgrade to 4.1 then jailbreak with either redsn0w or greenpois0n.

Also I dont think you needed SHSH blobs till 3.1.2, so your 3.0 Cydia wouldn't have the make my life easier thing.
  3. kamranonline

kamranonline New Member

While i was looking through forums some people want to downgrade to 4.0 from 4.1; I also think that the newer firmware will be good but just to be on the safe side.
    So will I be able to save shsh blobs if i upgrade to 3.1.2? and then i can upgrade again to 4.1 (and use redsnow or greenpoison).

Also I was trying to shift restore to 4.1 but keep getting error 3014 which i think is computer related so I might try another pc 2mrw..
  4. dssking

dssking New Member

I have the same revision as you (2g MB). Update to 4.1 via iTunes and then use GreenPoison. Had it done in less than a minute.

Then, of course, install Cydia and away you go.