iPod Touch - Unresponsive Screen - Burnt Resistor

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by amonti, Feb 8, 2009.

1. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Out of warranty week 39 iPod touch; the iPod works perfectly except the screen is completely unresponsive. Tried all the 'usual' tricks to no avail, so I cracked it open.

Looks like an SMD resistor burned quite badly (see pics). It currently reads 39K or so, but I have no idea what it is supposed to be. If anyone else has an open iPod touch and a multitester, can you let me know what the resistance is supposed to be so I can replace the resistor?

I'm not sure if some other issue caused the resistor to fry, but I'll buy a few and start by fixing what I can see is obviously cooked.

Thx

Attached Files:

• In.jpg
      In.jpg
      File size:
      956 KB
      Views:
    • Out.jpg
      Out.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  2. roboticos

roboticos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OOOOH. That sucks.
  3. Guegs

Guegs Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Dang, that really sucks. I will take a hard look around for you to see if I can find the resistance for it.
    ----------------
    I honestly don't understand anything about this sort of stuff (resistors that is) but maybe this link will help you out.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Resistor-Color-Code-Secrets&id=467160

----------------
    Now playing: Lil Wayne - Shoot Me Down (Produced By Kanye West)
    via FoxyTunes
  4. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks

Thanks Guegs; I think I'm going to have to crack open my own touch and have a look. I'll post the value here just in case anyone else has this problem.

5. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Fixed!

Ok, the fix we pretty simple, and I took some pics of the fix that I'll post here when I have some time. When I removed the burnt resistor, the screen started working right away (yay). While I was testing the iPod touch without the resistor, I noticed that the power meter was dropping, which was strange seeing as it was plugged in (boo)! I unplugged it and soldered in a 33K resistor, which seemed to do the trick. After 5 minutes of contant touchscreen activity, the resistor was warm, but not hot, and the iPod was charging again.

I still can't explain how a simply removing burnt resistor in the recharge circuity enabled the screen again, but I now know how to fix a dead iPod Touch screen.

The iPod touch is back together and with its owner again!

Thanks for all the views and suggestions.

- Andrew.
  6. Rezistik

Rezistik New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Was this a result of water damage? I spilled water on mine and the screen and speaker seem to not work any more. It turns on and if I double click the home screen the music options come up but the touching part is totally unresponsive.
  7. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Not exactly water damage; the owner was jogging while holding iPod Touch. I'm not sure if sweaty palms will damage iPods, but I would imagine that a suspect resistor could overheat if the screen was being 'touched' constantly.

If your screen is 100% unresponsive, then you may have fried the digitizer or possibly the resistor that I found burnt.
  8. DennisC

DennisC New Member

I had a similar problem with my 2g. I accidentally shorted out a resistor and now one of the components on the back of the motherboard burned. It made the screen all white but I can still hear the sound when I slide to unlock. I removed it with a soldering iron but now the ipod doesn't even turn on.
  9. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, it's always a learning experience; at least you cracked it open and had a look. Can you identify what other component fried? Interesting that your screen is [was] all white and still responds to touch.

Your experience gives me an idea for a new type of game; something that responds to touch and/or position, but you can't see what you are doing until you solve one part of the puzzle (Blind Touch?). You have to figure out the puzzle with non-visual queues (i.e. audio). I'm sure there are iPod games for the blind already, but maybe not games for people who can see with a blind component/slant.

I am also finally uploading the non-SMD resistor fix photo. A bit ugly, but it's still working AFAIK.

Attached Files:

10. sokkerdude13

sokkerdude13 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am having a similar problem. Most of the time after a little use i can't click certain spots and the screen will respond before i even touch it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks