iPod Touch trouble

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Garrett_Davenport, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Garrett_Davenport

Garrett_Davenport New Member

I've been trying to get this iPod Touch to synchronize with this computer, but every time I connect it through the USB port, it registers as a camera or a scanner. Is there anyway to get it to read as a regular mp3 device?
  2. dranktherest

dranktherest New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know i've had windows detect my ipot as a camera, but i haven't had any problems with media. Are you syncing music, videos, pics, calendars, and/or contacts? Have you tried setting it to manually manage, and then drag and drop (in the case of music and video)?
  3. Garrett_Davenport

No, when the iPod is jacked into the computer, it asks what sort of application to open it with and iTunes is not on the list. Only a bunch of picture managing software comes up that I can open it with.
  4. dranktherest

dranktherest New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is this a new problem, or has this been happening since you got the ipot? Do you have any media on the ipot at all? Have you tried manually opening iTunes? (I would hope so, but I need to ask)
  5. Garrett_Davenport

This has been happening since it was bought, the only media on it was the songs that came with it from the apple store, but they're no longer on it because we tried to reset the iPod, but that hasn't worked either. ANd yes, I have opened iTunes manually but when the iPod is plugged in there is no icon in the menu bar on the left that shows it's even attached t the computer.
  6. dranktherest

dranktherest New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There are a few things you can do to diagnose the problem:

1) Use a different computer.

Go to a friend's house, and use his computer to see if iTunes will connect, if it does, it would be wise to restore the ipot to ensure that there is nothing wrong with your ipot.

2) See if another ipot will connect to your computer
    This may be hard for you to do, I don't know how many ipots you have access to. Even trying a regular ipod may just to see if itunes connects may provide some insight.

3) Reinstall itunes
    If you have been using itunes for a while, you may have switched some setting or combination of settings that is interfering with the connection, so a fresh install may be the trick (though this is the least likely of my three suggestions to solve your problem)

If you try these steps out, you'll learn whether it's your computer, your ipot, of itunes that has the problem with the connection. I'm sorry I can't provide more immediate advice.