iPod Touch to replace a Palm Tungsten E2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tom_ZeCat, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Tom_ZeCat

Tom_ZeCat New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I had an extremely frustrating weekend. My Palm Tungsten E2, which I depend on, has bit the dust and they don’t make them anymore. I could still replace it, but a new one in the package is selling for far more than the original retail price – $200 – they’re going for approximately $350. Ain’t no way I’m rewarding the gougers. I could get used ones for slightly under the original retail price or a refurb for about $250. Those aren’t great deals for this older technology, but they’re doable and would have the advantage of my being able to keep going with a system that’s been working for me. I wouldn’t have to replace any software or learn a new system.

I don’t want a smart phone. I use my PDA extensively, but rarely make any cell phone calls. I make maybe 10 calls per month. Plus, at work I prefer to put my cell in my locker because I don’t want to be bothered by personal calls, but I do keep info in my PDA that I use there.

Apple computer to the rescue. Maybe. Let me tell you what’s most important to me and maybe you can help me decide if the iPod Touch is the right successor to the E2 or if I should just get another E2.

Of paramount importance:
    1. I ran Quicken for Palm OS on the E2. Best thing I ever did for my personal finances. Is there a version of Quicken for the Touch that will sync with Quicken 2006 for Windows?
    2. I ran a day planner, to do list, a contact list, and a shopping list on the E2. I’m sure the Touch has such a thing, right? I want to be able to sync this with my Windows XP-based PC and continue working on the PC with some good day runner software (in other words, NOT with Microsoft Outlook, which I hate).

The ability to read and edit Word and Excel documents.

Somewhat important:
    A German/English Dictionary
    A standard dictionary
    A chess game

Would be nice:
    It would be cool if the music player can play OGG Vorbis files.

Okay, there you have it. Since the Touch is not much more expensive than a refurbished E2, the money evens out approximately. How well will the Touch do what I want?
  2. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Jan 27, 2008
    I know you said you don't want a smartphone.....but a treo 650 would be a good upgrade for you. it runs the palm OS, and plus it CAN make phone calls if turn the phone on. (the phone power, and "PDA" power are separate)

I have a treo 650 and in the line of calender/todo, etc stuff, the iPod touch just can't beat it.....even with an app store with millions of apps - I haven't found anything as good as the old Palm apps!
  3. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Dec 26, 2008