Ipod touch to iphone questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yasha613, Apr 8, 2009.

1. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

Some of these are of course probably re-hashes from others asking relatively the same things, but for any that will induldge me...
    I currently have a razr phone that I hacked/re-flashed with the altel firmware a while back to uncripple it from verizon's crud, but having an all-in-one solution phone/ipod/cellular modem is miiiiighty tempting right now.
    So in short, I'm thinking of just outright hockin' my 16gig 2nd gen jailbroken touch for a contract deal 16gig iphone and I'd like input on if it would be worth it for me. And perhaps others with more information on this might have other avenues or vendors I could research for a better deal, or better long/short term phone options. This is in this case specific to the Eastern USA.

Cons:
    $300 phone /w AT&T contract ($600 phone if unlocked I believe without a plan)
    $70 monthly contract thru AT&T here($30 data, 40 for base plan)
    Contract lasts 2yrs

Questions:
    1. Locked phone to carrier in this case?
    2. Do they offer alternatives so I can just slide a new card in should I wish to drop them down the road?
    3. Is it as easy to unlock (should it be factory locked to a carrier) and then jailbreak as the touch?
    4. Once jailbreaking/unlocking is done can the phone function as a modem/router properly via bluetooth and/or USB to give essentially data access thru the cellular connection such as a normal 3g cell network card would?
    5. Overall better to purchase an overseas iphone as it will be factory unlocked?

Thanks
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok here is the deal. I live in NYC and have the plan your looking at. After fees and taxes i average about $84 a month(which is less tax and service charges than i used to get on verizon).

The phone that a US AT&T or Apple store will sell you is locked, no one knows now, but they may unlock them further down the road.

They are just as easy to jailbreak as the touch is. Easier then the 2G touch even. But unlocking them has become increasingly harder. While there is no way to officially unlock them now, there have been several unlocks from the dev team. However any iPhone that is on version 2.2.1 or was ever at that version, cannot be software unlocked at this time.

Tethering is currently done through jailbroken apps. There have been rumors of an official tethering but not much info is available about that at this time.
  3. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

Thanks!

Now I just have to think if that's justifiable, or in the extreme case spending another $200+ minimum to purchase it from overseas unlocked just to make sure I'm not stuck with a carrier...

If anyone knows, is there a country/source to buy a completely factory unlocked one? So I don't have to worry about it being fubar'd from an itunes firmware update? I've read through the stickied threads and it seems I would be possibly stuck in the same boat even if I ordered overseas, as the carrier of the country I purchased it from would be locked to their provider. And one offered as "unlocked" would quite probably simply be a model that was unlocked via software.

I am hoping this isn't against policy here, as this might be considered a grey area for legality, I'm just really thinking of this as a fairly long term purchase and don't wish to be stuck with someone for an expensive phone.
  4. Sipper

Sipper New Member

I'm not sure if this helps you but... I was in France a couple of weekends ago and made enquiries about an unlocked iPhone as they have some law there about only selling network locked phones.

Anyway you can buy an unlocked iPhone but the price was 680 euro's which equates to about 1000 us$'s.

Then you will have shipping etc.

M
  5. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

$885. So ya...just ain't gunna happen. When I can buy a laptop for the price of a phone is where I gotta draw the line.=)

For anyone else that wants to know...A little googling and the like came up with this nice little country listing of what's locked where. I have been dyin' to go to Russia sometime, meh, Cyrillic alphabet will be the standard, I can't even handle English. New Zealand ftw!

Few reputable dealers doing the ebay thing, few austrialia dealers as they can request them to be unlocked legally, hong kong; meh, still like $800-900 for one. Just can't justify that. Wish I could.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937