IPod Touch stuck in DFU mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by raveenp, Aug 16, 2008.

1. raveenp

raveenp New Member

Ok i have an IPOD Touch 32GB which was running on v1.1.4 jailbroken. However, i used the WinPWN utility and accidentally ran the IPhone version of the V1.1.4 firmware. Currently i am encountering the screen being constantly black and turns white when in dfu mode but only for about 7 secs.
    Attempts to restore the via ITunes (latest version 7.7.1) with the IPOD touch firmware version 1.1.4 and 2.0.0 is just futile since i am encountering Unknown error (5). My IPOD is presently identified as an IPhone on ITUNES. I need help! Please let me know. what to do.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Force power off your iPod by holding the power and home buttons. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then turn it back on. When the Apple logo pops up, plug it back in again. This has worked for me countless times, and it should pop back to the SpringBoard. If it doesn't, try rebooting a few times and plugging it in at random times. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.
  3. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

^^^Exactly.

You need to hold the home and power button for about 15 seconds and then start up again.
  4. raveenp

raveenp New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

IPod Touch stuck in DFU mode after accidentally loading IPhone V1.1.4 firmware.

My IPOD touch 32GB became bricked (totally blank no logo whatsoever) after i accidentally used winpwn to load the the IPhone v 1.1.4 firmware. When i toggled the DFU mode, Itunes was indicating that my IPOD was an IPhone.
    Spent many hours in 3 days trying to figure out what to do..However, i tried performing the restore from ITunes (the stock standard firmware as well as the Custom firmware and all i got was the error message Iphone ‘Iphone” could not restored. Unknown error (5).
    This is obviuously a serious error since it tries to download iPhone firmware when I click restore, and when I tried to manually install ipod touch firmware 2.0/1.1.4. it didn’t work either

Then in my desperation, i attempted the steps denoted in this webpage (http://www.appleiphoneapps.com/2008/07/how-to-newbies-guide-to-winpwn-20-jailbreak/),
    and i realized that if the IPod was in the state of total blankness the only was i could almost guarantee a DFU mode was to utilize ZiPhone 3.0 to make it toggle the DFU mode. Follow the 10 seconds rule with the Home and Power button pressed, and once 10 seconds is up release the power button while continuously pressing the home button. Then you should wait for the USB beep three times (WIN XP). The screen would turn white and then blank again. After that the device will show up in Itunes as in recovery mode.
    Now here’s the tricky part.

I utilized several tools in the process.
    I used the IBrickr before this with stock V1.1.4, but it did not work then.
    But i still kept the firmware that was used for that since Ibricker will expect you to rename the file to 1.0.2.ipsw. Keeping that file in place,
    I also created my custom ipsw file using the WInpwn v 2.0.0.4 and pwned ITunes as well.
    The end result was a custom V 2.0.1 firmware ready to be used.

Once i finished the home/power button drill then i invoked ZiPhone and used it to set the device to DFU mode. U will hear another USB two beeps then as well.
    (I could not recall exactly how) The Iphone was then being detected as an IPOD. ( i was like finally….Phew!!!)
    Then i attempted a restore and then i got the error message ‘1601′

I rebooted my pc then and the problem still persisted.(’1601′)
    Then after that i repeated the steps to get the DFU mode in place (as stated above)
    And then i used the stock firmware that was setup for the IBrickr previously (The V1.1.4 one which was renamed to (1.0.2) and the restore worked!!!

Afterwhich i then used the stock version v 2.0.1 and restored that (after switching to recovery mode of course).

So thats my story..I am now finally relieved. Thanks guys!

5. stresed out

stresed out New Member

ipod touch

OMG! thanx 4 that last post it saved my iPod it had a mirror of quickpwn and got stuck at the reboot screen but thaks for the 10 sec. rule

6. uiyt94

uiyt94 New Member

My ipod is stuck in DFU mode, no matter what combination i use all the ipod does is switch from blank to apple to DFU.......
  7. F6F Freak

F6F Freak New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How long are you waiting for the apple logo to go by?
    I (thought I) had the same problem, but turned out I wasn't waiting long enough..
  8. jeffro185

jeffro185 New Member

I have the same problem. I was running 1.1.4 firmware, and I was using WinPwn when it got messed up. No apple logo/connect to pc diagram will come up, and it also says my TOUCH is an iPhone. I still cannot get it to reconize it as a Touch, and ive been working on this thing for about 20 hours total.

I have used iBricker to try to get it out of this state, but ive had no luck. I have also looked at the link raven posted, but also no luck.

If any of you guys could please help me out, i'd really appreciate it alot. Thanks