iPod touch speedtest app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Scottyboy99

Scottyboy99 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi all. I am baffled by my fluctuating wifi speed on my iPod touch. Using the speedtest.net app as my main example I can get a good diwnload speed of approx 6.4 mbits during the day. This is the same speed as on my laptop.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But in the evening peak congested time the drop off is terrible . I get 0.5 if I am lucky. Other apps like YouTube and iTunes exhibit similar terrible slowdown. However my laptop in the evening maintains a reasonable performance of about 2 m bits. So why does my iPod touch tail off so badly? It makes it unusable. For what it's worth my provider is British telecom. Are the sods traffic shaping mobile device apps or something? Oh, I don't remember specifically but I am sure it was not dropping off so badly in the evening up til a couple weeks ago. Thanks in advance guys.
  2. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Are you doing it from the same place? Because i'm pretty sure that both your laptop and the ipod touch both have that 802.11 or whatever it's called wifi receptor.
  3. Scottyboy99

Scottyboy99 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

Thanks for the response. Yes being used at the same place. Nothing else in the place being switched on the evening to cause interference. I'm just puzzled. I suspect it's to do with BT's blooming traffic shaping. It's just odd that off peak both laptop and ipod touch are fast with 6.3 mbit d'load. Evening time and expected congestion kicks in. Laptops still usable at 2 m/bit approx but iPod touch really tails off. Usually get only 0.5 m/bits on speedtest app and this lasts all evening. Last night I downloaded a song on iTunes from the iPod touch and the transfer rate was about 50 kilobytes per second. So it took a frustrating amount of time to download a 10 megabyte song!

Thanks in advance