iPod Touch: Sound Quality

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andersz, Oct 23, 2007.

1. andersz

andersz New Member

Hi

I'm a owner of a iPod Video 5.5 80GB and a iPod Shuffle 1G 512MB. I think they both sound good, especially the iPod Shuffle that is known for having superb sound quality. That's why I started this thread to talk about sound quality.

Since I read about jailbreak the first time I felt that I really much wanted to buy an iPod Touch so I read several reviews and despite the known bugs people seems to be happy (I guess that's why this forum exists in the first place)

What I can't find much about is the sound quality in the device, so what's your opinion about that?

Is it similar to the iPod Video or is it better? I have read about "hiss" sounds, and quiet volume problems and that kinda prevent me a little from buying. Everything else seems perfect but I can't pay that much for a device that does everything excellent except the music playback.
  2. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

i have had all the ipods you talk about
    first off the video gen 5 and 5.5 have way better sound quality then the shuffle 2nd gen and 1st
    the shuffle doesn't amplify good at all
    the touch has about the same sound quality as the video
  3. Rallos

Rallos New Member

I would second that. The Touch sounds very similar to the latest iPod video. And the shuffle just sucks. None of them (shuffles) were very good IMO. Tried them both and ended up returning.
  4. andersz

andersz New Member

ok guys thanks for your answers. Do you think the volume is loud enough? I mean for normal listening volume how much to the right is your volume slide? Do you have to drag the volume slide close to the right side of the screen to get acceptable volume strength?

Does the iPod Touch support that you arrange your playlists into folders? like you can do now with iTunes?

Do you have the same basic EQ that's typicall for the iPod?

And do you hear that "hiss" sound that people complain about?

Because since iPod Touch is a so fantastic device when it's unlocked then alot of owners never even mention the sound quality that's why I ask you about that.
  5. Reality2012

Reality2012 New Member

I must agree with the author of this thread..
    Sound quality is a really importent subject that very few people seem to even care about..
    I own a pair of sony dj remix, one of the best earphones availible I think.. very expensive too

Please Register or Log in to view images

.. Anyway I want the best sound quality..

I would say that sound quality really depends on the format of the music u are using in ur pod. I always try to get the best bitrate at my mp3 music in my pod, preferable 320. And Im satisfied with the sound quality. Though the EQ I have not really figured out ( this is My first IPOD device, the ipod touch, so Im not familiar with the EQ yet ) But sometimes ur lucky and choose a good EQ for a good song and the sound is absolutly great..
    The volume bar on my Touch stays round 75 % to 95 % before the treble sounds to loud for my ears... So It is enough. And I have a touch for EU standards, as Ive heard that the US versions are a bit louder but the EU version is good enough I promise you that.
  6. dudeman

dudeman New Member

Sound quality? I don't know that I've listened to music much since this became a PDA.

But, really, no. I thought I heard hiss, but then it was apparent that the hiss was just from the track I was listening to. I think the sound quality is as good as my iPod video.

(And, as for the Shuffle -- 2nd gen -- I think, that for what I use it for -- riding the mower, running and going to the gym -- the sound quality is sufficient.)

&E;
  7. Rallos

Rallos New Member

All portable media players sold in the EU are required to have their maximum volume limited to "safe levels" so that's a nonfactor for US listeners. I normally have my touch on ~35% volume and it suits me just fine. The volume also has a lot to do with what kind of headphones you are using as well. If you are using the crap "steal-me-white" earbuds that come with the touch you are missing out. Get a pair of quality, noise-cancelling headphones from v-moda or Seinnheiser and you will notice a big difference.
  8. andersz

andersz New Member

Ok just because I really think the iPod Touch looks great. I just don't want it to look perfect but sound just ok. But none of you iPod Touch owners think the sound quality is worse than iPod Video?

Last question in that case. Do you think I should buy a device, jailbreak it and then be one of you happy owners i this community?

9. pjn

pjn New Member

I used mine for music for the first time today (been too busy jailbreaking etc!) and the first thing I thought was that it sounded better, and louder, than my 160GB Classic using my normal Sony earphones.

From everyone else's responses in this thread I may have been imagining things!

10. dudeman

dudeman New Member

One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble! Gooble-gobble!

(that would be a "yes")

&E;