iPod Touch Sound Quality

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tella, Jan 24, 2008.

1. tella

tella New Member

Hello all,
    I realized that I get a very average sound quality with my new Touch 16Gb. I change various seeting in the EQ sction, but the sound change was minimum. Also, I made a number of recording from master CDs, which souded excellent. As soon as I synced the music with the iPod, the sound was very average. Am I doing anything wrong,or there is somethin else I am not aware of at this time? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. kuecker_dj09

kuecker_dj09 New Member

sadly the itouch's sound quality is only about as good as an ipod nano. the EQ does some things, but not enough to really make a huge difference. just a small downside to wonderful things the itouch can do.
  3. toehead

toehead New Member

I have always liked the sound quality. I have very good headphones and high bitrate songs. no complaints here.
  4. adio2408

adio2408 New Member

I agree with toehead, I try to keep all the bits rates as high as 196, and getting a new pair of headphones helped alot. I just looked at sony's site, found a pair I liked and ebayed them.
  5. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

Same here. I haven't noticed any problems with sound quality, for music I've ripped myself. The only problems I had with quality was with downloaded stuff from other sources. I've since quit doing that, and deleted all the rubbish I downloaded.

I use either 196, for normal average music, or 320 for the really good music I love.
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The EQ presets aren't ideal -- there are none that precisely fit my personal preferences -- so that does present some issues. Nevertheless, indeed encoding quality and your headphones are the primary areas that are going to make the largest difference in sound quality.

- When ripping to MP3, use a decent ripper (LAMEnc and RazorLame are what I use; they're free, fast and produce good quality output) and encode at 192Kb/s or higher. If converting to AAC, use 128Kb/s or higher.
    - Good headphones make all the difference in the world. I use a pair of Shure E3s, and while they're not perfect, they still have excellent sound reproduction and superb isolation.

With these two things my music always sounds great (within the limitations of the EQ presets).