iPod Touch screen protector/rainbow effect

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by neko_koneko, Oct 20, 2009.

1. neko_koneko

neko_koneko New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I bought a plastic shell ipod touch protector from best buy and put my ipod touch in it immediately after opening it. The shell covers the whole front and back side of the ipod. Anyway, when I tilt my ipod at a certain angle ( especially in front of the computer screen, or in certain light outside) I can see a small to medium swirly rainbow effect on my screen. I took off the front part of the plastic shell to see if it is the actual ipod, and it doesn't seem to have the effect. Is this the screen protector? What causes the screen protector to do this to the ipod? Just making sure my ipod is ok!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    I have this on my iPod with the Belkin Screen Protector as well. I can only see it with certain lights. I think its with the fluorescent lights?

But day time mine is all good.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    It's nothing wrong with your iPod! The plastic in the protector must be polarising the light reflected off the screen of the iPod.
  4. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Yes!

I think you're right.

But just to clarify, was this caused by a bad job of putting it on?
  5. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oils on the screen will cause this also. Oils like from your finger. Look at it now, then smear wipe your finger across it, then look again. The rainbow effect is still there, but a different pattern. In use, even if you don't have smears on the screen, the natural oils from your fingers still are left on the screen. Kinds like oil in a water puddle..rainbow goodness.