ipod touch screen loose conection

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipodgamer94, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ipodgamer94

ipodgamer94 New Member

i have an ipod touch 2nd gen and the screen started to have a loose conection.please let me know how to fix it?
    i recently opened the ipod to see if the screen was connected to the ipod and it was so i replaced the touch screen and it didn't help any. Please help!!!
  2. a33a

a33a New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It sounds like a motherboard problem
    However, when you replaced your screen did you replace the ribbon cable? If not then it may be a dodgy cable.
    Otherwise It's possibly a bad connection on the logic board (motherboard)
  3. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, just out of curiosity, how do you determine that your 'screen' had a 'loose connection'?

Do you mean the 'LCD screen', or the digitizer (the touch screen)? Based on your response, I'll assume it was the digitizer.

If you mean that the display worked fine, but the touch screen intermittently responded, then most of the time (IMHO) it is due to water exposure, and cleaning and drying the connector usually restores functionality. Even a new screen may not work if the connector is still wet. Also, you have to press pretty hard to pop the connector back in place - make sure it is seated well.

I have also seen quite a few where circuity on the motherboard was fried as well, and replacing the digitizer (clear screen) didn't help.

Neither the digitizer's nor the LCD's ribbon cable can practically be replaced separately; they are an integral part of the unit and new units come with a new [attached] cable. There is a ribbon cable part that runs throughout the rest of the 2G, but unless it is damaged, it does not require replacement.
  4. ipodgamer94

ipodgamer94 New Member

ok i played around with it a bit more and yes the LCD screen works fine but the digitizer has serious loose conectivity. when i wiggle the digitizer it gets on and off responce.i tried pressing down on the ribbon to make sure it is connected right and it didn't help, plus cleaning the ribbon and the connector didn't help either. how do i tell if its a motherboard problem?
  5. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great - thanks for clarifying that.

There's a conductive strip that runs around the perimeter of the digitizer (on the back). This allows the digitizer to send 'touches' to the motherboard through the cable. The conductive strip (and the ribbon cable) are not user-serviceable. Sometimes, when you wiggle and press on the digitizer, the conductive strip around the perimeter makes a better connection.

You may be able to restore functionality by taking your fingernail and pressing down all around the perimeter of the back of the digitizer. Don't press so hard that you tear the protective black backing. Do this a couple of times and then test your digitizer. If it works, it may not work for long, since the glue may release again, but at least it will rule out your motherboard.

Another possibility is that the conductive cable coming from the digitizer has a split trace. Press and/or wiggle the cable on the back of the digitizer (top right when looking at the back) and see if that helps. In any case, it may be wise to spend the $12 and order a new digitizer off of eBay (it comes with a new cable and connector).

Please post how things go...
  6. ipodgamer94

ipodgamer94 New Member

ok i tried ur first option and it didn't help at all. and on ur second option, y buy a new digitizer wen last time i did it just started having loose conetions again. but while playing around with it again i completely lost conection, so i'll have to buy one anyway.
    i think it must be a motherboard problem though, and if it is, would there be any way of fixing it at all.
  7. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Some of these issues are pretty tricky, but unless the iPod was wet, I have seen very, very few intermittent issues like yours that were motherboard-related (but you never know). You are the most familiar with your iPod, so go with your gut feel and please post what the results are.
  8. ipodgamer94

ipodgamer94 New Member

hey i ordered a new digitizer just to see if it will work again but it took a while to get here so while i was waiting for it the ipod's battery died. so i recharged it but now the screen goes on to show the apple logo like its rebooting but then imediatly shuts down again. any idea wat went wrong NOW??