Ipod Touch Screen Is Black; Wont Show On Computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sfman08, Jul 17, 2009.

1. sfman08

sfman08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey Folks!
    Was wondering if I could get anybody's help on this. I just got an iPod Touch 2G from somebody that was already used. I got it today, and it will not turn on. The screen stays black, I try to hold down the Top and Home buttons together and it still stays black. So I plugged the iPod Touch into my Laptop (which has the latest version of iTunes), and my computer is not showing that my iPod Touch 2G is connected. So overall, let me tell you whats wrong:

-Black Screen, Ipod Touch 2G Wont Turn On
    -When plugged in with USB into Laptop the computer doesnt show that it is plugged in
    -Same goes for a desktop I tried.

ANY, and I mean ANY help would be a appreciated with this.
    Thanks!
  2. therealriley

therealriley New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does it come up in iTunes to restore it? Try and find the drivers for it and install them manually. It needs to recognize it before it loads. Keep trying the dfu mode (home and power) it's tricky to do it right but mine was the same as yours and eventually I got it to connect after many attempts of doing the same thing.

Has it had any water damage? Look for the red marks.

Try plugging it into another of if possible and see if it recognizes it.

I may be able to help after you check the above.
    But persistence is the key mate.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    *another pc

Damn auto correction! LOL
  3. TouchCast

TouchCast Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ey man try to recognize it in iTunes via DFU mode

Please Register or Log in to view images

that only Will help you :s
    but btw: secondhand itouches are always stuck or broken here in NL
  4. sfman08

sfman08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay you guys, thanks for replying.

I dont see any red marks or anything. I don't have CD's or stuff for it, all I have is the USB Cord, the Ipod Touch 2G, and iTunes the latest version. All in all neither computer (my Dads desktop, or my laptop) shows up that the USB is connected. No message, nothing.

No nothing comes up in iTunes, not even restore.

So just keep holding the Home and Power button? For a long time, until it starts up?

Im just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. If you have more questions about my problem, please ask.
  5. therealriley

therealriley New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    try and find the drivers then connect. Do you get any message that shows it might be doing something even if it can't find the drivers? Like not recognized etc
    Have u tried another USB cable. I'm on my third now. Do you have any history on the touch like how it bricked in the first place?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Doing what ur doing have u made the screen go White yet? Try other USB sockets too or are u using a USB hub?
  6. sfman08

sfman08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I do not. Im trying to get that information from the person I bought from, so Im waiting for their response. I should have just bought a new one. Hopefully I can return this to that person for the money back. The person said it worked fine and even had pictures of it working before she sent it out to me.

I only have this one USB Cable, I am thinking that it might be the cable, but I don't know where else I could have someone test another USB cable out for me.

There is no message and by drivers what do you mean? Again there is no pop-up, no message, no nothing. This has happened to me twice before on two different iPods.
  7. therealriley

therealriley New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's strange how it's happened on a few iPods. Now I'm assuming u got it from eBay you could send it back I hope you didn't pay full price. Shud be around £60-70 for a broken one.
    The drivers are basically the files it needs to recognize and function the iPod to the pc if you search google for iPod touch 2g drivers ( what version of the touch is it btw?) download your version then try to connect again.
    Try to plug it in to a USB socket directly in the pc without using a hub. And keep trying the dfu mode. It's basically bricked. Once you can get it connected u can restore it but it's a pain to sort out. The drivers are easy too install and you don't need to be technical to install them. Try this first though it may be all it needs. The cable is a concern though it's uniiversal so do u know anyone with an iPod you could borrow there cable if not play around with the cable there may be a loose connection. However if that's the issue do not restore with that cable!
    The drivers shud help pick the iPod up try that and come back to me il try and check for your reply regularly. Are u in the uk by any chance?