ipod touch safari downloads..

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by cpukid, Nov 14, 2007.

1. cpukid

cpukid New Member

well ive tried before and it didnt work, and i was wondering if there was an app or anything that would let me dl files onto my ipod right from safari. it always says it cant download the file. any suggestions or ideas?
  2. ArthurDent99

ArthurDent99 New Member

For me the same, please ...

Any ideas

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Snowspot

Snowspot New Member

This is the last frontier for the ipod touch and iphone... when you can download things, you can just download music illegally, no need for the itunes store...
  4. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the problem here is, I think, that we have to change the safari application itself to tell it to download the file in some folder inside the touch.
    That would a great stuff but I guess this will take time.
  5. cpukid

cpukid New Member

yea but im sure someone will make a patch or something for the safari browser
  6. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

honestly it wouldn't be TOO hard. I bet ya anything, a file in safari. Well in the REAL safari that file would say something along the lines of

"download file to /desktop"

but the itouch/iphone version, apple probably changed the file to say

"can't download file"

sooo, someone just needs to find THAT file, and figure out how to edit it. I bet ya with all the talented developers working on iPhone hacks we'll have something soon
  7. Ezra420

Ezra420 New Member

this would be sweet, im searching for what this guy above me said and ive also noticed that quicktime.webplugin and others is in a internet plugins folder so do you think there is a adobe flashweb plugin? or could one be devolped or downloaded?
  8. tones123

tones123 New Member

I am a bit of a nOOb here, perhaps someone could clarify whether it would be possible to do this: (i'm trying to think of a method that avoids having to hack safari.app and just uses current features)

1) Create a bookmarks folder called Downloads
    2) If we wanted to say download a creative commons mp3 we found on seeqpod, you can navigate to the mp3 and then bookmark it into Downloads folder. This would actually be a direct link to the file, not the page.
    3) Some intrepid soul writes an app that looks into the downloads folder, reads the bookmarks to get the direct link, and then uses curl to download the file (there is an Phone/Touch version of curl right?.

Am I way off the mark here?
  9. JonSingh12

JonSingh12 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    You know one thing i won't be surprised to see on the ipod touch sometime in the future would be Opera since it's basically on everything it's on phones, nintendo ds don't know bout wii, it's on the windows operating system it's on mac, it's on linux it's on alot of devices that connect to a web source so to see it on the ipod touch would be great cause that might be able to allow us to go further onwards with things like downloads and so forth. However i believe the safari app is great havn't tried it out yet don't have my ipod yet but if it's possible to edit it then that would be great, the ability to download files would actually be a big hit.

Also about the idea about someone writing an app to download this and that stated by tones, if someone can create an app that can download packages via wifi (ie. installer) than it should be possibile to write an app to download from a location maybe copy the link into memory and paste it into a field in an app and click download or even the idea of the bookmarks might be great. All it takes is some developers that find the ability to download files via wifi on safari useful. I on the other hand am not too skilled when it comes to devloping applications for anything based on osx. Well i'm just putting my output out there

Please Register or Log in to view images

Take Care,
    Jon
  10. midiman6

midiman6 New Member

isnt there a plugin for safari to download pxl files and add them to installer?

I'd say a quick mod of this plugin is probably all thats needed, but that's just a theory.