iPod Touch Refuses To Work

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fghtoffyrdmns, Aug 18, 2010.

1. fghtoffyrdmns

fghtoffyrdmns New Member

I've been fighting with my iPod Touch 1g 16g for about a year now, just to get it to function. The ipod was jailbroken for a very long time and stopped syncing a month or so before i tried recovering it in the first place, a third party application may have possibly prevented it from being recovered.

The iPod is stuck on the "connect to iTunes" screen, but my computer will not recognize it, in fact 4 computers can't recognize it so far. I've searched high and low for answers to my problem, but this is the first time I've tried posting in a forum to get results.

When in normal startup, the ipod displays the connect to itunes screen, the battery, and when i hold the power button the slide to power off switch appears and so does the word ipod and the lock symbol in the title bar. I fear that since the ipod had a passcode on it when it messed up, it is interfering with the recovery process, i could be wrong.

When i boot it up in recovery mode, (recovery mode is holding the home button down while plugging in the ipod) it just displays the "connect to itunes" screen.

When i put the ipod into DFU mode (turn ipod off, hold sleep for 5 seconds, then hold both sleep and home for ten, then release sleep and hold home for about 10 more seconds) the ipod is recognized as an unknown device to windows, but only on the computer the ipod was configured on.

i have attempted to fix my ipod in windows 7, windows xp, and mac os x, and haven't had any luck. I've tried forcing the USB ID to the device to get itunes to recognize it but that didn't work. I'm just hoping somebody hear may understand my problem and offer me a solution because i'm tired of having this little brick just laying around. I'm going to take it to a genius bar sooner or later to see if they can figure it out.

I am seriously willing give the first person to address and solve my problem $10 via PayPal. I consider myself extremely tech savvy, but i am utterly stumped by this ipod. I hate to throw around the term "brick" seeing that many people abuse it, but man, this thing just doesn't want to work.

If you need pictures, extra details, or have questions, please post comments and I will answer them as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for any of your time and efforts!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Jeez it sounds like you've tryed everything. I dont think i can help you much but ill try anyway. Have you tryed using a jailbreaking program to see if that picks it up, or have you tryed irecovery or recboot? Those utilities boot your ipod, kick it out of recovery mode etc. Even if itunes cant pick your ipod up maybe one of those can, and possibly kick it back into action. I'm not sure at all if they will work, but hey its worth a shot right?
  3. fghtoffyrdmns

fghtoffyrdmns New Member

Anything is definitely worth a shot and I just discovered RecBoot not long ago but it doens't work on the PC i'm working with now. I have tried using many different jailbreak applications to recognize the iPod but none of them seem to work seeing that windows doesn't show the device as an ipod, just as an unknown device. thank you for your input though! i will attempt to use recboot and irecovery on my main computer tomorrow.
  4. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, it does sound like you've tried everything!

A few months ago, I was repairing a 1G 8GB that had the same problem. The only way that I solved it was to connect the iPod (in recovery mode) to an old version of iTunes on a neglected laptop I had lying around. There, iTunes recognized it and I was able to update it.

What versions of iTunes are you running, and what version of iOS do you think is on your iPod?
  5. meturkishboy

meturkishboy New Member

buy a new one!!!
  6. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nah - I'm running Android on one; they're fun to hack around with if nothing else.
  7. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Buy a new first gen? Or even upgrade to a second generation. With a bootrom readily available, its only a short matter of time before Android is ported... and it'll run faster on the 2G anyways.
  8. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's very true - and cooler too! That Android is a bit of a pig.
  9. fghtoffyrdmns

fghtoffyrdmns New Member

Thank you guys for your suggestions on buying a new one, but do you think I haven't considered that? I want to fix this current one, I just don't want to give up. But amonti, I think the last version of iOS on it was around 3.1.2 i want to say, it was much before iOS 4 and so far, the only computer that will recognize the iPod at all as an unknown device is my main HP computer that is running Windows 7 with the latest version of iTunes, I've attempted to downgrade my iTunes to get it to work, but no luck. I'm going to keep trying. Oh, and iRain, I tried iRecovery, but it was a no go, it said usb got, but no iPod connected. I'll try RecBoot tomorrow, the download site was being dumb. Thanks again guys for your suggestions.
  10. fghtoffyrdmns

fghtoffyrdmns New Member

Any other suggestions out there? I'm going to attempt to take it in to an Apple store in a few days now, I'll report om whether they can fix it or not.