iPod Touch: Purchasing Advice from the Experts

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by info, Mar 22, 2009.

1. info

info New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've been wanting an iTouch for quite a while and was about to purchase the "new" second generation iPod Touch when I started reading about a new operating system and a possible new model which is about to be launched. I'm not in a real hurry but, to wait for an upgrade to OSX 3.x (?) which I can probably install successfully onto the second gen iTouch might mean I would probably gain nothing by the wait. Or, are some hardware changes also expected? I am not a Apple person at all and seek advice from the experts here on what they would do. Am I missing something important? What is your gut feeling, should I buy it now, or wait the three months? I have never had an iPhone, nor an iTouch.

Thanks for any input!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Imitation

Imitation New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you don't mind spending $10 for the 3.0 update, then go for it.
  3. info

info New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks Imitation. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
  4. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

Do you want to wait for Sept for another ipod release. Its going to be more expensive to buy the newer one. And if you like the guys here you may not be able to jailbreak the ipod 3g that comes out at the end of the year. So you may want to get this 2gen ipod now.

5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    you dont need expert advice. why not do what i did?

go to online apple store, purchase the ipod you want. update firmware when necessary.
    if you want the new latest ipod then wait until september (usually) until it's released.

no expert advice needed

6. info

info New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank you all very much for the extra input, it's helpful.
  7. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    well you could wait, but then again thanks to "that company" we dont know if the ipod touch 3rd gen will be jailnreakable
  8. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

That is true, only time will tell..
  9. djluis48

djluis48 New Member

Not really, the Jailbreaking DEV Team WILL tell...

10. info

info New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I imagine jailbreaking is extremely important to many. I had over 50 programs on my Palm Treo some of which were so called Hacks. In time most of these were broken with new releases of the OS and, relative to the time spent configuring the machine around them, and becoming used to them being around, their loss represented a considerable loss in time invested. I'm trying to imagine a parallel between jailbreaking and this situation but I'm not sure that the two are comparable. It sounds like there are some critical programs that belong in this category (or am I misunderstanding jailbreaking).

At any rate, I had read something about three months to the new iTouch; to wait almost six months until September is not really worth it to me, so I'm inclined to pick one up pretty soon then. I'm really interested to see how well the browser works (suspect that it's pretty darned good considering the portablility).