iPod Touch Public wifi, how to's, etc

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chico6060, Jul 24, 2008.

1. chico6060

chico6060 New Member

Is there a general article that covers how to connect to a wifi hotspot with an Ipod touch? I'm sure this sounds stupid, but I have a new iPod touch, and I so not have a wireless network at home (yet) and have not yet been able to successfully connect to a public wireless network.

What I am looking for is a link to a thread that discusses this (I have not come across one yet). Some of my questiosn are:

1. Can anyone connect to public wifi? i.e., do I have to have an ISP? What to do when you are in the hotspot?
    2. I cannot connect in a public hotspot - cannot connect to the server (even when the network shows as unlocked). I just can't fire up my browser to google, or yahoo...
    3. What are the things to watch out for when connecting to public wifi? Etiquette, dangers, viruses, hackers...

It would be awesome if someone can post a dumbed-down version of this for people who do not know much about wifi. I'm sure that when I set up my wireless network at home, it will be easier and more direct.

I have not found anything complete regarding the above. I apologize if there is something already posted - a link to it would be apprecaited.

Cheers and Happy Touching

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gradu

gradu Banned

if its public, it should be free! so just hook up youre ipod; but some places youll need a key. like cafe nero.

seeing as apple kinda blocks all dangerous stuff, you should be ok; but would live on public wifi, guarenteed there is someone out there, doing some funny business ;p

not sure bout the other one =/ sorry!
  3. ramon3131

ramon3131 New Member

the wifi its free o what how works please help me
  4. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You don't need to bump old threads...