ipod touch phone and text question..

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by SKAzzini, Apr 25, 2008.

1. SKAzzini

SKAzzini New Member

Alright so I've searched all over the forum, and since I'm search retarded I can't seem find the answer to my question..so if anybody can help me please let me know!

I am in a touring band and we go to Europe a lot..Taking my phone over there would be pointless 'cause it's verizon and i'm not paying 5$ a day for a phone plus .30$ per txt and 1.21$ per minute..I was thinking of getting an iTouch since I heard that you can use it as a phone as well as text where wi-fi is available..

Since wi-fi is available at 99% of the places we play in Europe/UK, if I get an iTouch will I be able to call and text to home? Also, from all of the videos and things I've read, nobody explains if you can get a text message BACK to your iTouch..is this something that's possible?

Also is there an AIM app, and would it work over there as well?

Thanks for your help!
  2. Magically delicious

Magically delicious New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can use mobilechat.app to text and revive text. There is also skySMS but there are limits.Sipvoip requires you to have a mic but u can make phone calls with that.
  3. SKAzzini

SKAzzini New Member

awesome, thanks for the help!
  4. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I use the mail application to send and recieve texts on my iPod Touch.

Please Register or Log in to view images

All you have to do to send a text from the email application is send the message to:
    1234567890@teleflip.com (replace the numbers with the person's mobile phone number).

It will go to their phone, and if they reply, it will go straight to your email, in other words, the mail application.
  5. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Okay, there's YOURPHONEHERE@teleflip.com
    SkySMS
    SiP-VoIP (With Microphone), which allows you to call with VoIP (Microphone = $40)
  6. xxhorseriderxxx

xxhorseriderxxx Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    just to add some input, i personally use Voipstunt(.com) as my "phone" service (free calls) (download/redownload the program and make a new account to get more minutes when they expire [on your computer]) The website fer the sip voip is touchmods.net (also sells mics that work awesome)

Hope I helped =]
  7. SKAzzini

SKAzzini New Member

Thanks for all of your help!

I just wanted to make sure that it would work in Europe/UK..I've read some things that say that even though it works on Wi-fi that it won't work in some places which didn't make sense to me..I just wanted to get clarification!
  8. xsimon_china

xsimon_china New Member

make sure you test it out first. i've been trying for days now to use skysms, the mail app and even teleflip.com and i still can't receive text.

i've heard awesome things about the mic but apparently the service isn't the best... good luck
  9. jgl1115

jgl1115 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you want all of those, you should really get an iPhone..