iPod touch personal hotspot: Is it worth all the money?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AHN, Jul 4, 2008.

1. AHN

AHN New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I saw this article, and asked myself, "is it really worth it?". Well, I can't decide, so I want to know you all think. The Cradlepoint PHS300 costs $180, the Sierra Compass I found for about 20 but you still have to pay like $30 per month. So, what do you all think?

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2099/63/
  2. bkmac

bkmac New Member

Wait. Am I understanding right that you have to carry around that Sprint piece along with the router everywhere you go?

That's a turnoff to purchasing it, especially since I'm a boy, and I don't carry around a purse/bag when I am on the go.
  3. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

Cmon, that would fit in a pocket!!!
  4. bkmac

bkmac New Member

The router and that Sprint piece? It'll take up space for say my phone, wallet, etc.
  5. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

Old news is old.
    Been doing that for about 2 months now.
    Works great though.
    Would definally try it out.
    The GPS in the Sprint card can be turned on via the router so find me on the Maps app always tells you right where you are.
  6. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Its good, but not for the iPod

I would so take this on a caravan trip though, wifi it up all right nice

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. bkmac

bkmac New Member

2 Question if you don't mind me asking.

- Is it annoying to carry around? (The router and Sprint piece)
    - How much in total did it cost you?
  8. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

Not annoying to carry around, Im used to a bunch of things in my pocket like wallet, fone, ipod, keys, etc so doesnt bother me. Usually have a backpack though like for school, so when I go back, it will probably go there, it gets kind of hot though after awhile, especialy here when its like 110 outside.

In total..hmm well...
    My fathers company pays for the aircard when he goes out on trips n stuff, but it would be like 60 a month.
    The router was about 150 I believe and its the one where u have to use a wall charger.
    Then I bought some battery backups made from back n decker (got off woot 2 for 15 bucks) but they retail at 50 bucks a pop and they last bout 4 hours each.
    Seems bulky but i usually have one battery connected to the router with wires in my pants both in my back pockets.
  9. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

10. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

Can you hook up more than one device to it? I would see the potential in that.
    Would it be more convenient to sell your existing ipod touch and possibly get the iphone 3g given that you have to pay monthly fees anyway? It's not on a contract is it (24months)?

I'm not sure what the coverage is like in the States, but over here (Australia), 3G is only available close to metropolitan areas (within the city). Can you get a connection on a caravan'n trip?