iPod touch permissions..?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by ManGforce, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ManGforce

ManGforce Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello everyone,
    i just signed up here to find an explanation about the permissions thingy..
    well, im not new to jailbreaking iDevices, but im new to the permissions thing
    today, i read about deleting some useless launch daemons. the post said to set the Launch Daemons folder permission to 755
    i googled how to set the permissions to 755 and i found this site
    http://ask-yusry-anything.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-change-filefolder-permissions-in.html
    so i used Putty to ssh into my ipod, and i typed the following
    chmod -R 755 /Applications/*
    i didnt know that i have to type in only the folder name
    like, i was supposed to type chmod -R 755 /system../Launch Daemons, but i typed this "chmod -R 755 /Applications/*"
    and today, when i opened cydia (1st time after changing the permission), i got an error about denied permission
    so i knew that i was supposed to type something else.
    anyway, i fixed it by typing "chmod -R 4777 /Applications/Cydia.app", and it worked.
    but im kinda worried if this will affect the other apps in that folder. so any suggestions about what to do next ? like shall i change the permission for /Applications again? and if yes, what shall i change it to? and whats the default permission for everything? because in that post, it said that if i dont set the permission for launch daemons to 755, my ipod will get stuck on boot screen. but since i only changed the permission of /Applications folder to 755 (by typing chmod -R 755 /Applications/*) , how come i didnt get stuck on boot screen? and did it even change the permission? or the error i got from cydia about the permission from something else..?

help please
    i just need to know permission i shall set and to wat folders/files
    ipod touch 2g (mc model) os 4.0
    and thanks !!
  2. jay jailbreaking co

jay jailbreaking co New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    fix user dir permissions

noooooo you'll possibly brick your iPod touch sbsettings app from cydia will help you download it and read the product info first it's important you do that then follow the info for that then activate by slideing your finger across the status bar going left to right and then click on more and click on system options on click on fix user dir permissions and click on fix me that it you are fixed email me if you have more problems with your iPod touch 4.0 because I have the same iPod touch 4.0 8gb my email address is gameking1300@gmail.com
  3. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    "chmod -R 775 /Applications/*" type that in and it will be back to normal.
  4. ManGforce

ManGforce Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i did wat u said, then in mobile terminal, i logged in as root
    and then i typed
    "chmod -R 755 /system/library/launchdaemons"
    then i reeboted, and now its stuck on boot screen
    i turned on shsh before rebooting and kept wifi on, cuz i thought in case it gets stuck on boot screen, i can shsh into it (i have like 2-3 minutes to do that, right?)
    but, whenever i try to ssh into it, it doesnt work.. when shall i ssh into it? first when the apple logo appears? or when the spinning wwheel (that happened due to jailbreak)appears..?
    and say i was able to ssh into it, what shall i type..?
    i know theres a way to fix it, but im not sure how.. help ??
    thanks
    and btw, im using putty to ssh if that helps.
  5. jay jailbreaking co

jay jailbreaking co New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well you should have not used mobile terminal on a fix user dir permissions sent me pix of the problem('s) you are having
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    via email