iPod touch or classic?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kuba.g, Oct 25, 2007.

1. kuba.g

kuba.g New Member

Hello,

I am analysing this for a few days already and I can't seem to decide. My b'day is approaching and I would like to finally get myself a iPod and get rid of my old mPio.
    I would like to spend around 410CAD. This makes me take the iPod touch 8GB and classic 160GB into consideration. However I'm thinking of rising my budget and maybe choosing the 16GB. This is however not my main problem, the problem is that I can't chose between the classic and touch.

The classic is very interesting for it's space, while the touch seems cool as a toy. But I don't know if the touch will be practical, as I will be using it mainly in transit so I would like it to be practical for that case. That means I would like to be able to adjust the volume without taking the touch out of my pocket. I guess this is impossible with the touch?
    On the other hand the classic seems to have problems with the smoothness of it's software and it's also pretty heavy and big.
    The other thing I'm considering are the headphones. I would like to have decent quality of sound and I heard that the normal iPod headphones aren't the best quality. I have no idea what good earphones I should get. Maybe there are some nice ones with a volume control? That could fix my problem with the touch.

I would be very thankful if you guys could help me with choosing and comparing the pros and cons of the iPods.
    Thanks a lot in advance,
    Kuba.
  2. JeffS

JeffS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    As a daily train commuter (1-1.5 hours each way), I full understand your want of music, ease of use, and desire not to remove your ipod/mp3 player from your pocket for such minor tasks are changing the volume.

I recently got a 16gig ipod touch, and am using it to replace my 20gig Rio Karma. So far it's a mixed bag, and depends on what you want....

If you want an mp3 player that is really just an mp3 player, with a few extras thrown in, get the classic. If you want Apples flagship iPod gizmo cool toy, get the touch.

The touch falls short in a few categories. Must be removed from pocket to do anything, short of turning it off. Pausing the music to order a coffee or muffin in the morning is much more of a hassle than with other players I've owned. It's more cool looking to bystanders, but it's not convenient. Definitely a choice of form over function. The other problem I have with the touch could be corrected by apple with software updates, but I'm not holding my breath. If you use the slider for changing your position in the song or movie you're watching, it's not very easy to get it to where you want it to be. You can come close, but you can't just zero in on that one spot, right where you left off, or a second or two before it... You have to get NEAR it, and then hold the fast forward button, to sneak up on it for a bit.

The scroll wheel of the previous models, would move quickly through song/audiobook/etc. while you scrolled fast, and would slow down as you scrolled more slowly. This allowed for more precise placement into the track you were listening to. A much better designed system, if you ask me. I think Apple COULD implement a virtual scroll wheel, similar to the mock-ups we saw on the net about a touch screed ipod for a couple of years now. I don't however think that they will do this. I don't think so, because of the mock-ups we all saw, and thought would be how they would implement things. Steve doesn't want to do what's expected. We have to expect him to Think Different.

The other need you should consider is space. You can never have enough. 16 gig is great for some, and it depends on how much music you have. 160 gig is a LOT more, and I believe that the classics can be used like a hard drive in the same way the previous models could. This does lend itself to additional functionality that isn't available on the ipod touch.

For your situation, I'd say probably a classic.

I don't want to sound like an touch user that is bashing the touch. It's great for what it is, but it's a first generation product, and definitely has room for improvement. Heck, look at the gen 1 ipods, compared to today. The "classic" is a far cry from that first 5 gig unit with a physical scroll wheel, and curved buttons surrounding the wheel.

Oh, and for headphones.... http://www.head-fi.org
    just bear in mind, head-fi can be murder on your wallet

Please Register or Log in to view images

-Jeff
  3. tonyd09

tonyd09 New Member

a jailbreaked ipod touch is amazing. if you get it, you should buy a case or screen protector. The touch is extremely multi-media, i like it 'cause it's like my own portable computer in my hands: wifi internet, calendar, music, videos, games, etc.

I've never been into the ipod classic. I only like the 1g nanos really, the video ipod seemed too bulky for me. but i dunno, if you're a person who is constantly going places, or is busy, the ipod classic would probably suit you better. the click wheel is so easy to use and you can control the volume if it's in your pocket, unlike the touch.

idk really, i see the touch as a "laid back" device, something you'd use alot if you had nothing to do at the moment. I couldnt really imagine multi-tasking while using the touch at all. but still, it still packs a mighty punch when it's at its full potential(after jailbreak).

JVC marshmallows: http://musical-instruments.pricegrabber.com/studio-monitors/m/28067744/

very good in-ear headphones, only 20 bucks at Wal-mart.
  4. FlashiPod4Free

FlashiPod4Free New Member

If you want to just listen to music, the iPod Classic is for you.

If you love hacking gadgets then you'll love the iPod Touch. You can add a lot of Apps and do a lot of neat things with it. Unfortunately it only has a capacity of holding 8 GB and 16 GB, while the iPod Classic has a lot more.
  5. damn.hustle

damn.hustle New Member

As far as headphones is concerned. If you really want a good decent pair of headphones may i suggest the Shure earphones. I have the Shure E2 model, however it is discontinued but may not be on ebay where i bought mines. I have gone through earphones like crazy and by far as far as outside noise reduction is concerned they are great. I highly recommend them.
  6. filberto

filberto New Member

Having played with a classic and having a touch myself you should hands down get a touch. They're big, heavy and not good for transit. The touch is slim, will fit into some of the msot emo jeans available and can be jailbroken and has way more features. The classic has none, a new UI and a coverflow mode that most people will not use. Just get the touch, you will love it.
  7. yonga

yonga New Member

If you wanna use it mainly as a music player get a classic! It can store tons of music (and video and everything else) and is really easy to use without looking.

If you wanna have sort of a super-duper mini computer that's also a great video player, stores A LOT less data and is rather impractical as a on-the-go music player, get a Touch. Don't get me wrong, though. As a super-duper mini computer and as a video player I just LOVE the Touch.

I'm thinking of buying an extra Nano for the music and use the Touch exclusively for video and internet/mail.
  8. kuba.g

kuba.g New Member

First of all thank you for your replys. I'm very happy that you all are so nice to help me out with my choice.

So the touch is more a show-off tool than it is a music player. I see... The major thing which you mentioned that holds me back from getting a touch is the fact that you can't control it from your pocket. But on the other hand I'm not sure if a classic will even fit into my pocket... And it's also pretty heavy. So that turns me to the nano, which on the other hand has only 8GB storage. I'm wondering if you could this little tool (forgot what it's called) on the earphones cable to control the iPod touch? And if so, would this be compatible with some custom earphones?
    About this scrolling, I don't think it'll be such of a problem for me. My main concern is the pausing/volume control without having to take it out of my pocket.
    Space... well, as you mentioned - there is never enough of it. While I'm currently fitting the music I most want to listen to on my 500MB mPio, it certainly isn't enough. I guess I could hold my whole music library on a classic... As I calculated - I could fit 1.000 V0s or 250 flacs on an 8GB. I don't think I will be able to hear the difference between these two on my earphones (next point), so technically 1000 V0s would satisfy me when it comes to space.
    About video's, I don't think I will use my iPod for this purpose too much. Maybe sometimes watch a music vid, or show off to friends, but an iPod isn't my main choice for watching a DVD movie you see...

Hehe, the link to the forum of Head-Fi you gave me... I never thought that there can be so much science in headphones lol. My first thoughts ware to use the standard apple headphones, but after having a read on the forum where people take amplifiers!!! with them on transit together with their iPods I decided I might need at least some low-end earphones. I think I can spend around 140CAD on some nice headphones. I'm going to read some more on the forum and try to decide, but I already see that It won't be easy! Here I have a choice of two products and already a difficulty, while when it comes to earphones the choice is so much bigger!

Yes, I am aware of the fact that a jail-braked touch has lots of possibilities. But I would also like it to do it's main function which is to be a music player. When it comes to the headphones, I think I would like something a little better than that. After all, sound quality is very important.

What about if I want both??

Please Register or Log in to view images

I think that the capacity of 8GB would satisfy me, as I calculated earlier in my post btw.

Yes, I have read on Head-Fi - Shure makes great earphones. However I don't think I would like to buy them second hand, so I am interested only in new (produced) models.

Those are my concerns when it comes to the classic - It's big and heavy. However as I already mentioned I would like to at least be able to control my volume without taking the touch out of my pocket and turning it to get it into the right mode to finally change the volume you see....

Yes, but on the other hand the classic (as I mentioned) is very big and heavy. It might be impractical too on my second thought...

Thanks again to everyone for the posts,
    Kuba.
  9. Holger

Holger New Member

10. JeffS

JeffS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    kuba.g

Regarding headphones, I think 140 CAD will be more than enough for a good pair. I should also warn you... The motto at head-fi is "Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet." I went there thinking $50 is a lot to spend on just headphones. So far I've spent close to $800 not counting the player itself. Those have been upgraded too as the journey continues.

That being said, the Etymotic er-6i have a very detailed sound, good and controlled bass, and run for about $68 USD.

Good luck with your decision and happy listening,

-Jeff