ipod touch only charges from PC's USB

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scoobydooby, Nov 29, 2007.

1. scoobydooby

scoobydooby New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi,

Had a search through the forums but didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

My 'touch' wont charge from an AC outlet type adapter, but will charge from a USB2 port on my PC, does the touch have a particular power requirement that is different from other ipod's?

My wife has a sony mp3 player with a AC adapter that has a USB socket (5v-800ma), replacing the Sony USB lead with the lead from my sons brand new nano (sorry dont know enough about ipods to identify its generation) will charge his nano fine, wheras my touch doesnt charge at all.

Next i tried one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=115319&C=newsletter&U=07P13-1&T=12162975 , still not charging the ipot, I cant rely on always being by a PC to charge my ipod.

Any PC will charge it, regardless of whether itunes installed or not.

When I say its not charging on an AC adapter, I am assuming it's not charging, if I plug my ipot into a PC's USB, it wakes from standby, makes a noise & displays a large battery icon, the tiny battery display has a bolt-of-lightning thru it, when I plug it into an AC type charger, nothing happens.

I bought my ipot whilst on holiday in the US from an official Apple store, will a UK Apple store take it back & swap it if it is faulty?.

Tony

(sorry about the link, I couldnt get it to display properly)
  2. scoobydooby

scoobydooby New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

You adepter is probably just a bad one or it is't powerful enough. I have a couple different chargers and they all work :-/
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm pretty sure this is the solution, it worked perfectly for me...the problem is that the plug does not exactly fit the touch, where the connectors don't line up. What i do is plug in in and wrap the cord up and around the top of the ipod screen, so if you were to look at the ipod directly the power cord would be crossing straight over the screen vertically. Ill usually loop it around so i dont have to hold onto it. Hopefully this will work for some, it worked for me.

haha that forum is so anti jailbreaking its absolutely rediculous
  6. alvinjericho

alvinjericho New Member

This worked for me.

on my purchase on the usb adaptor,. the first times, i charged it, it doesnt charge, but there is the battery symbol that its charging... so its kina like f*** dude.. i was pissed off by the charger and i had no time to charge it on my laptop coz i really need to sleep and i need my touch to be charged by morning, so i left it plugged the whole night..
    then the battery got full.. then eversince, it charges right now when i plug it in.. try what i did. maybe its a solution..

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. scoobydooby

scoobydooby New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi, I think my ipot is broke, if i leave ipot on desk-& dont move it at all, just move the USB end between PC's USB & AC charger. it will charge on PC, but still not AC, so I dont think a bad connection is the problem, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I have now ordered a genuine apple charger, so will see if that works ok (doubt it).

Last night, in an attemt to fix it, I allowed the 1.1.2 upgrade theat itunes was nagging me about (I was holding off incase I wanted to jailbreak it), that didnt work, so i did a full restore, still nada from an AC source.

Just hoping that a UK apple store will exchange it if it proves neccessary (I bought it in a US apple store)

Tony
  8. shyriu

shyriu New Member

same here with my Ipod Touch but also with my girlfriend's 3rd Gen Nano...
    I reammy don't know how to hook them up together to make it work so I just use my laptop to charge and sync...
  9. scoobydooby

scoobydooby New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree that is a solution, but I dont want to be committed to being near a PC, for example, next year we are going to Majorca, the hotel doesnt have Wifi, so no need for laptop, but I will be taking my touch for its music capabilities, what do I do then.

I wonder exactly how common a problem this is, many people may not notice that it wont charge from an AC supply if they usually hook it up to a PC/mac for syncing/charging.

Tony
  10. jezzer

jezzer New Member

Hey all,

I've just noticed the same problem with the Power Monkey travel charger. No joy at all with the Touch, but a friends iPod Classic 5th Gen works fine. The plug feels just as snug on the Touch as it does on the Classic.
    When I first got the Touch I used a friends AC adapter and it charged fine, i'm wondering if the Jailbreak has caused an issue with the unit recognising the power supply? It still charges via the PC though - but only with iTunes running, it won't charge on a PC without iTunes. A friends iTouch DOES charge on a PC without iTunes... but his isn't Jailbroken.

Has anyone else noticed this with Jailbroken devices? or is this a red herring?