ipod touch not working, water indicator messed up

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by user0, May 28, 2008.

1. user0

user0 New Member

I have a touch (jailbroken 1.1.4) that is currently stuck on the Apple logo. None of my computers actually recognize it as a USB device, but it does charge(through FW), and it hangs before it turns it's wifi on, as I cannot ping it.

It was very slow(took about 30 seconds to load the springboard), so I ran chmod -R 777 /*, and it was not slow. But then when I tried to reboot it, it just had the Apple logo.

Even worse, the water indicator in the headphone jack is a greenish color, so I may not even be able to get it replaced.

Any suggestions? (anything involving restoring or SSH will not work)
  2. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well i think you CAN change the indicator back to normal....ive heard about it before.

Did you try putting it in restore mode and restoring?
  3. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I thought the water indicator turned red when it got wet?
  4. user0

user0 New Member

Restore mode wouldn't work either, or at least the methods I tried.(Home+power on,home+cable)

Edit:awal1190:Thats what I thought too. To my knowledge, it has never been submerged or splashed with water.
  5. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    hmmmmmmm......does ZiPhone recognize it? If it does put it in DFU mode/restore. Just a suggestion!
  6. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I got water into my ipod touch as well. The water indicator is half pink and half white. I tried using bleach (I wasn't recommended this) and cabagge use (reccommended) but neither worked. They say use rubbing alcohol to remove the color, but I don't have it so I don't know if it works. If you still have warranty, which you do... go search on ipod touchfans.com Top 5 Ways to get your ipod replaced or something along the lines, and do number #8. You are pernamently bricking your ipod, as your ipod touch will be reconized as a iPhone. You will not be able to turn it on, or restore or manually, iTunes, or DFU. I did this two days ago, returned to Apple, they're getting a replacment (thank god they didn't check the indicator). It will work, they have to replace it because there is no sign of water damage.
  7. user0

user0 New Member

I don't think it even loaded any USB drivers. ZIphone doesn't find it, the OS X system profiler doesn't list it, usbview doesn't list it, and I don't have access to a windows box right now.

Also, the water sticker doesn't seem to be shiny, like it is in my iPhone. Could it have fallen out?

edit:raEEv3:I think it's already permanently bricked. I'm thinking I could cut a small piece of paper, put some shiny tape on one side, and glue it in the hole, or are the Apple guys not fooled so easily?
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

I'd suggest the old trick of putting a tiny pit of tissue paper into the headphont jack and poisition it correctly with a paper clip, then get it replaced by apple