iPod Touch not recognized at all.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by phl33t, Aug 30, 2009.

1. phl33t

phl33t New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new to posting here and have not figured everything out yet.

Anyways...
    I have an iPod Touch 1st gen that I had running a stable jailbroken 3.0 for a while (used to have 2.2, and before that 1.4). But while I was trying to delete a folder that I made in the mobile dir, I accidentally deleted the ENTIRE mobile directory (whoops, there should be something in iFile to stop you from doing this). Anyways, a bunch of stuff was corrupted, so I did a dfu restore to the stock firmware. That worked, but I wanted to rejailbreak, and I still had the IPSW file from when I jailbroke before. So I put the iPod in DFU mode, and tried to restore to that file, which resulted in error 1604. After trying a bunch of times, I eventually gave up because I had to go out.

But this is where the real problem is. When I got back and tried to connect the iPod to my MBP, it would not recognize it, and the iPod just showed the connect to iTunes logo. Checked System Profiler, and it wasn't there. Reinstalled iTunes/AppleMobileDevice multiple times, and it didn't work. Also tried to put it into DFU, which didn't work. Eventually, I tried booting to Vista (sucks) and restoring from there. Vista did recognize the iPod, and I was able to restore to 3.0, so I now have a working iPod at least.

But now back in OS X, the iPod still isn't recognized by anything. It won't even charge. I've tried all the USB ports, even a hub, and nothing works.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be very appreciated because I would really like to be able to use my iPod properly again.

Thanks
  2. iZOMBii

iZOMBii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    haha
    and everyone says macs are better
    either use a different computer, use vista to charge it and for itunes or reinstall your os.
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    DFU always works.
  4. phl33t

phl33t New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I've been using iPod Touches for a while, and DFU usually works, but for some reason the connection is not even being made to the computer... Arg. Maybe I'll try dfu again, but I doubt it'll work. BTW first issue with mac and compatibility.

EDIT: Tried DFU a few more times and still no luck. The iPod simply isn't connecting to the computer, doesn't seem to be software issue, but if it works in Windows, then...
  5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What exactly are you doing for the DFU Mode steps, it should be like this:

Plug it into your computer (there needs to be a USB cable in the dock port for DFU to work)
    Hold down the home & power buttons for 15 seconds.
    After 15 seconds, release the power button and keep holding the home button.
    Continue holding the home button for 40 seconds, or until you hear a beep on your computer.

When you hear the beep, you can stop pressing all buttons, and restore in iTunes.

EDIT: Wait a second, theres no such thing as a jailbroken 3.0 IPSW, you need to be on a stable 3.0 firmware, and jailbrake with redsn0w 0.8
  6. phl33t

phl33t New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    As for the IPSW, I am on a mac, so I can use Pwnage Tool, and I made a jailbroken IPSW with that.

Anyways,

Since I am on a mac, there is no beep when the iPod is recognized. Also, the OS X doesn't even think that there's anything plugged into the USB port at all, so idk... And yes, that is the procedure I used to put the ipod into DFU.

I also tried to restore to 2.2 in Windows (through DFU, yes) but it came up with errors 16** i can't remember which.

On second thought maybe there's something wrong with the OS, or else I screwed up the bootloader on the iPod, but i don't think that's even possible, since its in rom...
  7. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Update to 3.0?
  8. phl33t

phl33t New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What do you mean... Its already in 3.0. I can't get it to go to 2.2. (This is in boot camp, windows, where the iPod is recognized.) But in OS X it is not recognized.
  9. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So if its recognized in Boot Camp, just restore?

Did you DFU it?
  10. MrRoarke

MrRoarke New Member

DFU dude, if not send her into apple.