iPod touch not detecting when headphones are inserted

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xtasy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. xtasy

xtasy Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is a really annoying problem where my iPod does not detect when my headphones are inserted, so the speakers are always on! It started as intermittant but now it does it all the time. It's odd because the volume level has no effect on the earphones but it does change the volume of the speakers.

I have restored many times and the problem happens when jailbroken or not. My phone is just over a year old so I guess I do not qualify for the warrenty.
  2. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You probably have a faulty headphone jack. The only way to know for sure is to try plugging it into a speaker system that uses the dock connector and see if the speaker system plays the music and not the iPod's external speakers. If that's the case you can create an external headphone jack using this fix or just buy a new one if it's not covered under warranty.
  3. xtasy

xtasy Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the reply, however the link in your reply is broken. What kind of hassle is it to replace the headphone jack itself?
  4. piwipod

piwipod New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You could try cracking open the iPod and slightly pushing in the pins of the audio out jack that should be making contact with the headphone jack you insert. Must be that the pin things have lost their springy-ness and can't make contact with the headphone plug when ever you insert it.
    This is something I would do, I don't know about you.
  5. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    DON'T TOUCH THE JACK!111111

You could do some serious damage.

This has happened to me on numerous occasions. Purely software related.

Just reboot the device. It's worked before. Come back if it doesn't, but please, don't play with the jack.
  6. xtasy

xtasy Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Righteo I Haven't touched the jack (yet). I have rebooted the software many times, jailbroken or not jailbroken the problem is the same. However I think it only started when I upgraded to OS3.
  7. Orli155

Orli155 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    sounds like you have insomnia installed. if not then nevermind, since you said you tried it not jailbroken, just making sure.
  8. xtasy

xtasy Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nope never had it installed. Might try and sell it as faulty on ebay - it's an excuse to get the new iPhone at the very least.