Ipod touch newbie with questions.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eastwood, Mar 31, 2010.

1. eastwood

eastwood New Member

What is the major difference between the 2g and 3g versions?I notice alot of the members here are using the 2g.Im looking to purchase one and my first thoughts are to get the 3g 32gb.Ive read that the newest ones cant be jail broken yet but soon the newer ones will be able to be jail broken.My question is should i just purchase a 2g or go ahead and get the 3g and just wait for the jail break.What do yall recommend?

Another question.I keep reading about jail breaking the ipod touch,then i read about tethered and untethered jail breaks.Im confused.What is the difference between the two?

Another thing.I really want to be able to use the skype or similar program(line2 maybe?)to make calls.From what i have read this can only be done with the 32gb or the 64gb?Or this can be done with the 8gb also?

I have read that the 32gb and the 64gb are built different and are faster.Is this true?

Thanks for the help.
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok
    Only the 32GB and 64GB models are cosidered "true" 3G, the 8Gb models have the same hardware as the 2G at the exception of a patched bootrom to cripple jailbreaks, they are considered "late 8GB MC Models"

32/64GB 3G models have double the ram (256MB)
    a faster/better CPU based on a8 cortex at 600mhz
    very powerful mobile gpu which supports open gl 2.0 (better graphics)

at the moment the 32/64gb models Cant be downgraded if you dint backup your SHSH hashes (which you obviously didn't if you just bought it, or plan to). They can only be jail broken at fw 3.1.2

yeah both the 3G 32/64GB and late 2G 8GB ipods are tethered
    Tethered means that if you jailbreak, everytime you reboot (turn on/off) you will need to re run the jailbreak program either blackra1n or redsn0w (which just takes a minute)

Untethered means
    that you can reboot your jail-broken ipod , just like a normal ipod (without the computer assistance)

It is well know that both geohot and chronic dev, have already a untethered jailbreak for 3.1.3 (but they are not releasing yet) they are waiting for the next big release whether it be the ipad, or fw 4.0 or even the next gen iphone

Regarding skype or other voip programs you can use them in either the 2G and 3G models BUT you need compatibles headphones with mic

Imo get either the 32Gb or 64GB models they are the best, once you get to jailbreak you will love the extra ram and processing power, not to mention that games developed for it look better i.e nfs shift
  3. eastwood

eastwood New Member

Thanks for the clarifying those questions for me dunuck.