iPod Touch Mic?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zigzag, Dec 17, 2008.

1. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Hi folks,

I was recently reading about the 2nd gen ipod touch and how it's got the capability to record audio in using a headset mic and then kicking myself for buying the 1st gen ipod touch which didn't have this feature. However, I've come across a few posts suggesting that the 1st gen ipod touch can in fact record audio in if it's been updated to 2.2 and you have a dock mic, such as the iVoice III.

What I'd like to know is if in fact this is true, as I'd like to use my ipod touch as a portable recorder for laying down some demos quickly or recording notes?

If this is indeed true, could someone tell me if it's only the iVoice III that can be used? It's quite a beast and I'd prefer to use something like the Griffin iTalk (although is says on their website that it's not compatible with the ipod touch 1st gen).

Also, since I'm talking about using my ipod touch as a recorder, can anyone confirm if this would work with apps such as Sonoma Wire Works' FourTrack?

Any help you folks can give would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Zig
  2. HooterJh4II0

HooterJh4II0 New Member

To my knowing there is no microphone or voice input at all on the 2nd gen just a speaker.

It had been confirmed though that the IVoiceIII mic works for first generation touches. Only the docking port on first gen touches have audio pins unlike the heaphone input jack which had no audio-In line, So you couldnt use a handsfree device or bluetooth (yet?)

I think the second gen touch does have audio-Input in the headphone jack,(4 prongs instead of 3 on the 1G) Can anyone confirm this?
  3. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The iPod Touch 2G can use a MIC. One solution is to buy the Apple headset with Mic for about $30. I tested using the Phillips headphone connector for iPhone - you can get this at Target for $10. It goes between the iPod Touch and your headset. Download the iRecorder app .99 from iTunes to test. I had to have the Mic fairly close to my face to get the best volume. There are a couple of free apps to try for VoIP: Truphone and Fring. I tried Fring to GoogleTalk on a PC and they could hear me fine but I couldn't hear them. I need to test with another Fring user. I think Truphone is only between two mobile devices and not to a PC. Another interesting app is WalkieTalkie app from iTunes $1.99. People have been adding comments on blogs requesting VoIP apps for iPod Touch from GoogleTalk and Gizmo5. IM+ for Skype is also available.

Update: Signed up for TruPhone and it works. Tested to GoogleTalk using the Phillips iPhone connnector and headset. Sound is very clear. A couple of times I got some feedback on my end and couldn't hear the GoogleTalk end but they could hear me fine. GoogleTalk could also call me at TruPhone.
  4. iBjorn

iBjorn Member

5. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Thanks for the info folks. Now getting back to the 1st gen ipod touch and the mic capabilities... am I correct in saying that up until firmware 2.2, there were no mics that would work apart from the touchmods one? And in saying that, firmware 2.2 has added functionality that enables dock connected mics to work that previously didn't? Meaning that not only the iVoice III mic will work, but any other dock connecting mic such as the Griffin iTalk Pro?
  6. petes

petes New Member

Hi,

I have the Macally ivoiceIII working really well on my iPod Touch 1st gen running firmware 2.2 with no Mods. I have made many successful VoIP calls via Skype and VoIPStunt using Fring and NimBuzz. It's fantastic that it works!

This is my understanding of the isssue. In firmware 1.1.x the audio-in for the dock WAS live on the Touch. Then Apple locked it in 2.0-2.1 - no mics could work at all. When 2.2 was released Apple, for some reason, un-locked the audio-in - well almost, they have infact put a hardware (HW) lock on the dock audio-in. This means that mics with an Apple APPROVED HW lock can activate the audio-in with a built in HW key. Apple Approved accessories usually have a “made for iPod/ works with iPhone” label on the accessory or its box. The Macally ivoiceIII does have this label on its box. I can only guess that the HW key is the same for the other makes of iPod (like the iPod nano) that the Macally ivoiceIII was made for and the fact it works is a bit of luck. If the Griffin iTalk Pro (or any similar device) does not have a build in HW key that can unlock the Touch audio-in it will not work. However, it can only be a matter of time before manufacturers produce a dock mic aimed at the Touch 1G.

I have not tried any of the audio recording software, but I have heard that "note2self" does work on the Touch 1G, firmware 2.2 + Macally ivoiceIII.
  7. odnan89

odnan89 New Member

So the ivoiceIII works on touch 1G. Do you use your regular apple headphones to make the calls? I tried placing a call without a microphone, and I was expecting to hear but not be heard. However, I couldn't even hear anything. Will connecting the microphone fix both audio in/out problems??

thanks
  8. whizkid515

whizkid515 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does the iTalk Pro 2 (ITALK30-2) have a speaker on it? I've read sources online that say it does (Newegg and amazon both do) and I've read reviews that say it's a con that it doesn't have a speaker. Also, does the connector block the headphone jack because even if it does have a speaker, I still want the option of headphones.
  9. iPodiction

iPodiction New Member

No. You do realize that won't work on a Touch, right?

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. mokgerald

mokgerald New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch