iPod Touch Mic settings

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by erotiboxxx, Feb 14, 2009.

1. erotiboxxx

erotiboxxx New Member

There needs to be an app/widget/addon to control the gain on the mic...

For example, as a professional musician and studio engineer, I play and record shows/performances.

I recorded some audio at a concert last night, and obviously, since the levels are set so high by default, I got a recording that looked similar to Metallica's Death Magnetic: basically one long, constantly clipping mess with no dynamics.

In the quieter sections, a spectrum analysis shows my mic picks up a solid amount of frequency range, so no problem with quality (recording at 44k, 24b, standard CD quality).

I just need to be able to lower the gain on the input, maybe something equivalent to a computers mixer...which gives that most basic functionality.

Anyone know of anything? Frustrating to have such an able piece of kit have such an inane Achilles heel that keeps it from being used in a professional capacity.
  2. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i didnt know there was a mic....

if you mean external, then maybe you should try a different mic. use the apple earphones with the built in mic or the ivoice iii or something like that. maybe your mic just doesnt work too good with the ipod. im not sure how someone could code something to control the mic... it would have to control the jack which would then control the mic...
  3. erotiboxxx

erotiboxxx New Member

Mic gain on a computer isn't hardware, its software. I am simply wondering if software is currently available to adjust gain for the mic in.

Maybe the question is too advanced for this audience. Like I said, I'm a professional engineer, I understand microphones and computer audio production well enough to charge people for my time.
  4. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Are you jailbroken?

That would be the answer, most likely. My iPod decided to not go into DFU for awhile, but when it does I'll reboot and check to see if there is something.
  5. erotiboxxx

erotiboxxx New Member

Yeah, I'm jailbroken. Everything works fine, seriously just curious if there is a utility tool available... it would make recording much easier.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thie is not an answer it is a coment

people should not try to answer if they don't know the answer