Ipod touch MAY have Hardware problem :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Szteto, May 13, 2009.

1. Szteto

Szteto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A couple of days ago, My ipod was sitting on my lap, I turned around to talk to a friend (School). And it fell off my lap, only 1', hit the floor, and my music stopped playing..."Odd" I remember thinking, So I picked it up, and tried to turn it on, I failed. So The day went on, I left it in my pocket, and about an hour later I took it out to show my friend, to see if he could propose a solution. As I took it out, I realized that the back was warm, unusually warm. The heat seemed to be radiating from roughly the "16GB" symbol on it. Yet again, I remember thinking "Odd."

So anyway, I went home and fiddled around with the buttons, tried putting it in DFU mode and things like that, at one point when I connected it to my computer, I got a message saying "Found new hardware - Unidentified USB device," I fiddled with the buttons again, and eventually the screen turned on and displayed the "Battery is increadably low, I'm gonna go charge for a while now" screen, However...The screen wasn't right, It was all white, the colour of blue-y white that is shown when jailbreaking it, but i wasn't just that, There were several lines of random colour placed at random distances accross the screen. After a while that went away and it was perfectly fine, visually at least.

Now, It's prone to crashing, but when it does, it flashes that blueish white with the lines through it, and the only way to get it to restart is to do the force restart command, ie. Holding the sleep/wake and Home buttons for 10 seconds. And when it's in that crashed state, the battery gets abnormally warm, only while in my pocket though...

This seems like a hardware problem to me, the outer shell of the ipod is perfectly fine, and when I shake it I don't hear anything rattling around. Should I restore it to regular firmware and see if Apple will take it in for repair, or replacement. Any other ideas would be helpfull, Do not skimp on "technobabble" I'm fairly handy when it comes to computers, and I am relatively competant with thing to do with UNIX. Also, I Have looked around to see if anyone else has the same problem as I do, and I have yet to locate someone with similar symptoms.

Thanks,
    Szteto

EDIT: It's a 2g iPod Touch 16GB

AND...I currently have it turned off, and It's not getting warm, so the "Crashed state" isn't likely to be a "turned off" crash
  2. Szteto

Szteto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So, I restored it, and this is the product

Attached Files:

3. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

Do a complete DFU + Restore. Do not restore from your iTunes backup. See if it's normal.
  4. Szteto

Szteto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just noticed...I have the numeric battery and the custom logo. IT'S NOT JAILBROKEN!!?
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Because you restored from a jailbroken backup.

Do as ipwn said and complete DFU restore and set up as new ipod.
  6. Szteto

Szteto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm attempting that as I type this...It's having troubles with DFU mode, Whenever I follow the steps to do so, it always shows up in my computer and "Unrecognized USB device" As opposed to what it's supposed too. I can get it into what iTunes calls "Recovery mode" I'll restore in that...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Restored in "recovery mode" Let's see if I can put it DFU now...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I put it in DFU,
    btw, before, It appeared that everything was fine