iPod Touch Loses Wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vahnx, Jun 7, 2010.

1. vahnx

vahnx Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    iPod Touch 2/3G 8GB MC model jailbroken w/ Spirit running Firmware 3.1.3. Happened on 3.1.2 and happened with Blackra1n and pre-jailbreak. I will randomly loose my Wifi connection until I flip it on/off in sbsettings or normal settings. Sometimes it will work constantly until I start downloading a huge file, sometimes will cut out after half an hour of use, sometimes 4 hours, sometimes when playing an offline game for too long. Thing is, all my other laptops/devices remain connected so I know it's not the router (Dlink WBR-1310 Rev. D1 firmware 4.13 using WPA-PSK w/ TKIP) that's the problem. It's the device itself. Anyone know of a permanent fix for this (not involving contacting Apple).
  2. skupz0009

skupz0009 New Member

I have the exact same problem, i have herd its a problem with the firmware but im not sure. it can get pritty anoying especially when trying to download an app you realy want. sorry i could be any more help.
  3. wvcachi

wvcachi New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is it when you're using the iTouch, or when it locks in sleep mode? Because when it's locked, it automatically disconnects from Wifi to save battery life . . .

To change this, jailbreak apps Insomnia and KeepAwake in Cydia keep it going even when locked. These apps cause a glitch with audio/microphone though, so if you need those features while using, I'd recommend skipping those two apps, and disable Auto-Lock ('Settings'>'General'). Then you can download Cydia app ScreenDimmer in conjunction with that (it turns your screen off without actually locking it).

If the wifi is going off while the touch is active, then my best guess is a hardware problem.

Good luck!

vahnx Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    This just happens what seems randomly. I'll be browsing safari fine, I'll then launch Cydia and install something, go play a game or w/e, type an e-mail, go to some app which requires internet and it no longer works. I must toggle on/off again. No sleeping inbetween whatsoever.
  5. iAlx5

iAlx5 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    this also happens to me.
    I would be using safari, then go to a new link and the wifi would dissapear and come back like in 5 seconds
    its too damn annoying
    i have a 2g 8gb ipod and idk what could be the problem. I think its the new verizon internet
  6. wvcachi

wvcachi New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If your touch is jailbroken, try this:

Use SSH or iFile to browse your touch's file system, and go to var/preferences/SystemConfiguration and edit the com.apple.wifi.plist file. Find the part that reads:

<key>DisassociationInterval</key>
    <real>1800</real>

. . . And change that 1800 to something much higher. The number is how many seconds it will stay connected to wifi without its being active (1800 is 30 minutes). I switched mine to 604800 - one week.

It could POSSIBLY be that that setting is what's causing your issue. Good luck!
  7. SpoonIsTooBig

SpoonIsTooBig Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But won't that waste battery?
  8. wvcachi

wvcachi New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    A good point, but the wifi will still shut off when you put the device to sleep. This will just keep the wifi from shutting off after 30 mins while you're using the touch for something that doesn't use Internet.
  9. vahnx

vahnx Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    The thing is... it completely stops working until a toggle back on/off, jailbroken or not. This should not happen whatsoever. Nothing to do with the device sleeping ;D

@iAlx5 It does not come back at all unless I toggle, so we have different wifi issues.
  10. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Well, Apple gave some advice to iPad users, move closer to the signal source... LOL...

Have you tried any of the following:
    -Respring the device.
    -Reboot the device.
    -Restore the device.
    These sound simple but are sometimes just what the device needs. By the way, a reboot = SHUT DOWN, WAIT 5 MINUTES (or more), POWER UP. This guarantees the device has also cooled down, and is starting cold. Sometimes (most of the time) when stuff overheats, it doesn't work as well.

It could also be your router. Try using another iPod touch/laptop/computer to connect to the router, if they disconnect too, more likely than not, it's the router.

Use your iPod touch to connect to another network. If it experiences the same things, it is the iPod. Otherwise, it's your router.

These are just a few things to determine what is crapping out on your, your iPod or your router.

Personal note: If you have a BELKIN router, I have had many bad experiences with them... The drop connections, they get weak signals, and just stop working.