iPod Touch Loses Power & Isn't recognized by iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by larryjt, Dec 25, 2007.

1. larryjt

larryjt New Member

Just got a 16 MB iPod Touch and cannot get it to work at all. I turned it on, got the graphic showing to use the cable to connect it to iTunes. Connected the cable to my Mac USB port and the iPod touch beeped and then shut off. Turned it back on, again after about 10 seconds got a beep and it shut off. I tried every USB port on the Mac and the touch did get a full charge but never showed up in iTunes. It just beeps after about 10 seconds and shuts off. Am I missing something or do I have a defective Touch? Thanks for the help.
  2. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it should beep twice when its connected to USB, but it shouldnt shut off. if nothing else i say take it back to where ever you got it from and get an exchange
  3. bkmac

bkmac New Member

The exact same thing happened to me.

Do we really need to return it? There's got to be a way...
  4. 1337chaos

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    the only thing i can think of is for you to turn it on, wait for the connect to itunes thing to show up, then hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time until the apple logo appears, as soon as you see the apple logo let go of the sleep/wake button and keep holding the home button. it might work
  5. bkmac

bkmac New Member

I just did that, and it gave me the option to Power Off or hit Cancel.

I clicked power off, and then hit the Home button and it came on and the "connect to itunes thing to show up" came up and shut off.
  6. 1337chaos

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    seems like you got a defective one then. it shouldnt automatically shut itself off when you see the connect to itunes screen.
  7. bkmac

bkmac New Member

Are you serious

Please Register or Log in to view images

There's got to be some way. I mean, it turns on, so we know it's not totally broken.
  8. 1337chaos

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    just because it turns on doesnt mean its not defective. its most likely a software problram rather than a hardware problem, though it may be something wrong with the cord itself. i would still suggest taking it back because like i said, it should stay on after you connect it to your computer. so theres definately something wrong with it. its not like you had any songs on it or anything so its no big deal. just take it back to wherever you or someone else got it from and ask for a exchange
  9. bkmac

bkmac New Member

There is so sort of slash on the image of the Apple when I turn it off from Sleep mode. Is that a sign of anything?

So this means I'm going to have to take a trip out to Long Island to the Apple Store I went to (I live in Brooklyn,NY)

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just a question - what Mac do you have? and what version of MacOS X? If you have an older Mac, you might have USB 1.1 ports which are problematic - kind of hit or miss with the iPod Touch. Similarly, you need OS X 10.4.10 or higher I believe...