iPod Touch Line In?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Onlinegamesnz, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Onlinegamesnz

Onlinegamesnz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, so ive read up on how to get the ipod touch line in to work. Apparently the line in pins are active. So there are many DIYs but i was woundering if anyone has done this? I am wanting to plug my guitar in and record. The line in is used on the pins of the dock connector, so my other question is can i use the mic input of the 3.5mm as a mono line in instead of a mic as my guitar is mono. Also when i plug another 3 pin 3.5 plug in with a mic on it the ipod says no mic..do apple use technology to verify there own mics? next the line in pinouts have Line in Right, Line in Left and an audio GROUND. if i were to run the screen of my cable to the GROUND and the other single core (mono) to the line in RIGHT and bridge between RIGHT pin line in and LEFT pin line in i would get RIGHT and LEFT input and output sound? Correct? ALSO WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE OLD BIG STYLE IPOD USB CABLES!!

CHEERS!
  2. Onlinegamesnz

Onlinegamesnz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Please can someone confirm this works. ?
  3. Gregte

Gregte New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't even know what you are describing. It is not clear at all to me after re-reading it.

If your iPod has mono line in then of course your ipod can be fed a mono signal to the two conductors of the ipod that accept mono line-in. The signal may very well have to be tailored. By that I mean you may need an isolation transformer. I have no idea what the ground line of the guitar is at. Is it at something vastly different than electrical ground of the house wiring?

What is the level of the guitar's signal from minimum to maximum? Is it within the range that the iPod wants to see. These things have to be known or everything is just shooting in the dark and hoping.

As far as your left and right and screen (presumably shield) I don't know what you are trying to achieve. Does your ipod have stereo audio line input or is it just 3 conductors, one mono in, one mono out, and one common or ground?
  4. tjgriffin

tjgriffin Member

I'm not sure about how to properly wire up your guitar cable.

As far as getting a "No mic" message after pluging a earphones + mic into the 3.5 mm, my guess is either 1) you have a 1G Touch which only has stero out on the 3.5mm; or 2) the plug and/or headphones are damaged.

I got a used 2G MB 16g Touch and had problems with earphone mics. Apple's seem to work, but my Shure mic adapter didn't, I tried sever other earphone mics, and got a pair of UltimateEars that worked...and then didn't. I went an Apple store and tried all my earphone mics on iPods, iPads and iPhones. and all of them worked every single time. I concluded that the plug on my Touch was damaged. Audio out has always worked fine. I think the the times the input worked was just luck.

I've been looking at dock mics like the Macally and Blue. Finally caught a Macally iVoice III on Amazon Marketplace for cheap. It turns out that ever since 3.0 or 3.1 of iOS, dock line in has been disabled for the iPod Touch. I can plug it in, start a mic app like Shazam or the voice memo, but after a few seconds, I get an "Accessory not supported by this iPod" notice. I've read that the iVoice Pro works, but don't know for sure. It's not clear to me why one mic would works but not another.

If an iVoice Pro or Blue Mikey2 turns up cheap, I might give it a try.

I think my only options are to the headset plug repaired, hope someone can figure out a jailbreak tweak to reactivate line in, or wait for someone to make a BT stack with mono input for the Touch.

Is there a HW mod to the iVoice III that makes it work? Link please? Can a dev please take pity and take a shot at a tweak?